Shaft Zincs - WTH!!! - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Shaft Zincs - WTH!!!

Dudes and Dudettes,

I need a bit o' advice. I have a Pearson-O'day 290 with a Westerbeke diesel. Not that that matters really. I installed a single shaft zinc in 2018 only to find it missing at haul out. So, belt AND suspenders, I installed 2 in the spring of 2019. If I hypothetically had to dive on my prop because the neighbors' dog backed over my painter in the middle of Penobscot Bay with a building south westerly, only to discover A) 10 feet of painter and 20 feet of pot warp wrapped around my shaft and B) no shaft zincs to be found (and a 25 foot great white sighted and filmed by the coast guard not 5 miles away while I was in the water wearing my finest harbor seal costume) . . .where was I going with this diatribe? Oh, yeah, anybody have a good way to keep those beasties on the shaft so I don't have to entice sharks!

Delectable in Maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Shaft Zincs - WTH!!!

Could any steel have arrived in the water near where you keep the boat since this problem began? I assume you didn't have it before?
An engine block, steel boat or a bunch of old concrete rubble with rebar used as a breakwater? Those are common culprits in this scenario.
Also a bad ground on your shore power if you have it.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Dudes and Dudettes,

I need a bit o' advice. I have a Pearson-O'day 290 with a Westerbeke diesel. Not that that matters really. I installed a single shaft zinc in 2018 only to find it missing at haul out. So, belt AND suspenders, I installed 2 in the spring of 2019. If I hypothetically had to dive on my prop because the neighbors' dog backed over my painter in the middle of Penobscot Bay with a building south westerly, only to discover A) 10 feet of painter and 20 feet of pot warp wrapped around my shaft and B) no shaft zincs to be found (and a 25 foot great white sighted and filmed by the coast guard not 5 miles away while I was in the water wearing my finest harbor seal costume) . . .where was I going with this diatribe? Oh, yeah, anybody have a good way to keep those beasties on the shaft so I don't have to entice sharks!

Delectable in Maine
Are you in a slip ? Do you have shorepower connected ? Is this a new problem ? How long did zincs last before this problem began ? Have you seen any other corrosion on prop blade tips, shaft or any other under water metals.

Any response would be a WAG without at least some of above information.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 5 Days Ago at 11:44 PM.

post #4 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago

While something seems wrong, keep in mind the goal is not to save money on zincs. I roll my eyes when I hear the opposite. Bragging that zincs last for multiple seasons. They're probably not working, if they do. So bright side, yours are doing their job.

The two most common things that cause premature corrosion are a shore power fault (yours or a neighbors or the marina) or a DC ground problem aboard your own boat. Both very difficult to find, but as BP said, a bit more detail would help.
SanderO and zeehag like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Ok Don - as the others have said, you definitely have some ‘splaining to do...

1.) were the zincs gone as in gone, stolen, disappeared without a trace, nuts and bolts and washers and all, or gone as in mostly or majorly eaten away?

2.) how much rum did it take for you or your neighbor’s dog to be in the boat on the water backing down on painters in Maine in January!
zeehag likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #6 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago

I’ve had the same problem, shaft throws the zincs. They are NOT getting eaten, they get thrown off. Also I have a very short shaft exposed so there is really interesting one type that fits.

Plan B was to paint my prop with Pettit RusLoc Paint, a bunch of coats. The paint is a one part urethane with about 90% aluminum solids. Aluminum is not zinc, but pretty close and it seems to be doing the trick. If it’s worn I just sand it down and put on some more coats.

I e been told by a reputable surveyor that he has seen others do this and at least one cat charter company in Florida does.

I have a steel boat and am seldom at a dock and almost never connect to shore power.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #7 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago

If I'm following, you're saying the aluminum paint acts as an anode? I'm pretty surprised and wonder how one would know, if the bronze is so covered, you couldn't detect the telltale pink leaching. Any chance your metal boat has other zincs that may be taking up the cause?

In any event, some brands of zincs have brackets molded inside, so I'm surprised that could be tossed off, if not worn down to nothing. Are you thinking your zincs split?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Dudes and Dudettes,

Delectable in Maine
Don - if your problem is the zincs going walkabout and not being eaten, try seating them with a brass hammer or small sledge as you tighten the screws.....tap the zinc lightly on each side after you tighten the screws until it seats fully and you can’t get any more bite on the screws.

Mainesail has a good article about the whole process on his website:

https://marinehowto.com/anode-instal...est-practices/
zeehag likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #9 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago

Dock

I'm going to recommend against swimming in shark infested waters wearing your finest harbor seal costume, or even a shabby one...
zeehag likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago

You say you replaced your zinc in 2018? You know it is 2020 now right? If you are in a marina you cant expect multi years life. At our club every boat is tested for voltage leaks annually, and I still have to replace my zincs every year. If you leave them too long they will eventually fall off because the material is much thinner at the bolt holes, so the bolts could fall off before the bulkier parts of the zinc are completely dissolved.

If they are just falling off prematurely then you are either not tightening them enough, or you are not using lock washers or nyloc nuts on them.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
zeehag likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Last edited by SchockT; 5 Days Ago at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in