Where to buy used (shot) sails? - SailNet Community
 4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Where to buy used (shot) sails?

So, I'm doing a "crafty" project setting up my son's new bunkbed - he wants a "pirate ship" or "sailboat" theme. As a part of this, among other things, he wants a "sail" up top. Most of the used sails I see advertised places have (at least in their owner's eyes) some life left in them, and are priced accordingly. I really just need some no-longer-serviceable sails to reuse. I've seen a few threads on here from folks talking about reusing/repurposing their no-longer-serviceable sails, but not where one might go...should I just call the nearest sailmakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago
Administrator

Re: Where to buy used (shot) sails?

It might help if you said where you are located. Plan 'b' would simply be to buy a yard or two of canvas looking fabric.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 4 Days Ago at 10:28 AM.
post #3 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago

Dock

Unless he's got a really big bedroom, you're looking for a dinghy or sailboard sail.

+1 on Jeff's Plan 'b'

post #4 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago

Would you say the average bunk bed takes up about 18 square feet? The smallest sail I can think of, on a sunfish, is 75 square feet. I like Jeff’s idea, especially if you’re just going to cut it down anyway.

I’ve seen, on the other hand, sails used to wrap all around piping and railings to make pretty cool looking awnings and wind blocks. They weren’t still in sail shape, but you would tell it was lashed and folded to fit, but that’s what it was. Last I recall was at the rebuilt Foxy’s Taboo on JVD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_ruffner View Post
So, I'm doing a "crafty" project setting up my son's new bunkbed - he wants a "pirate ship" or "sailboat" theme. As a part of this, among other things, he wants a "sail" up top. Most of the used sails I see advertised places have (at least in their owner's eyes) some life left in them, and are priced accordingly. I really just need some no-longer-serviceable sails to reuse. I've seen a few threads on here from folks talking about reusing/repurposing their no-longer-serviceable sails, but not where one might go...should I just call the nearest sailmakers?
Local sailmakers are a good place to start. They are likely to have a few spent sails laying around, although there are people to grab old sails to make bags out of, so they may be spoken for.

You could also approach dinghy sailing clubs. Dinghy sails will be more size appropriate for your purposes. Old windsurfer sails are another option although they tend to be more colorful and high tech looking, not very "piratey".

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #6 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

I should have said: I'm in Central Virginia, so none of these things (dingy, sailboard clubs, sailmakers) is local to me. However, there are places on the Chesapeake I can reach out to easily enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Would you say the average bunk bed takes up about 18 square feet? The smallest sail I can think of, on a sunfish, is 75 square feet. I like Jeff’s idea, especially if you’re just going to cut it down anyway.

I’ve seen, on the other hand, sails used to wrap all around piping and railings to make pretty cool looking awnings and wind blocks. They weren’t still in sail shape, but you would tell it was lashed and folded to fit, but that’s what it was. Last I recall was at the rebuilt Foxy’s Taboo on JVD.
While the surface of a standard twin bed is more like 18sf, I'll be rigging up something closer to a canopy/tent top over the upper bunk.

The lower will have a dark canvas "curtain" to mimic the sides of the hull, with portals fringed/surrounded with good old hemp rope. Sure, I could use a light-colored canvas, but I'm hoping to get an old sail for like next to nothing, plus, yeah, much cooler with the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Local sailmakers are a good place to start. They are likely to have a few spent sails laying around, although there are people to grab old sails to make bags out of, so they may be spoken for.

You could also approach dinghy sailing clubs. Dinghy sails will be more size appropriate for your purposes. Old windsurfer sails are another option although they tend to be more colorful and high tech looking, not very "piratey".

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I'm hoping to be one of those "spoken for" people.

I think he won't get hung up on the color issue (historical accuracy) - he'll be all about the colors.

There is a consignment shop (sailing gear) in Deltaville, VA that I'm going to query...and a sailmaker there...and at Solomons...I'll start with that. Also, a guy we know in the SMSA at Solomons might have a line on old dingy sails.

Thanks all!
post #7 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago

Check out Bacon sails in Annapolis

https://baconsails.com

I don't know if they still sell what they called "junk" sails, but I bought one from them 20 years ago. They sail people bought them for tarps, etc. IIRC, the freight was about about equal to what the cost of the sail was (by that I mean that they charged little for the sail).

I'm in SE Virginia, so shipping should be about the same for you.
Jim_W and s_ruffner like this.
post #8 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago

Cost to post on craigslist = 0
post #9 of 13 Unread 4 Days Ago

I have a blown out laminate jib you can have, if you are willing to pay shipping costs from Vermont. It does have a ripped panel, and it is not worth fixing. Shipping Shouldn’t be exorbitant,
Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by tsell; 4 Days Ago at 10:13 PM.
post #10 of 13 Unread 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I don't know if they still sell what they called "junk" sails, but I bought one from them 20 years ago. They sail people bought them for tarps, etc. IIRC, the freight was about about equal to what the cost of the sail was (by that I mean that they charged little for the sail).

I'm in SE Virginia, so shipping should be about the same for you.
This is exactly what I am looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
I have a blown out laminate jib you can have, if you are willing to pay shipping costs from Vermont. It does have a ripped panel, and it is not worth fixing. Shipping Shouldn’t be exorbitant,
Let me know if you are interested.
....although this is even better! I just tried to DM/PM you, but my post count isn't quite high enough yet to be allowed to do that. If you DM me, I can respond I think.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in