mounting 9" handhold without backside access - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: mounting 9" handhold without backside access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Dual lock is amazingly superior to velcro. It's what holds up most of our headliner and has very high shear and tensile strength.

However, it has two weaknesses. The first is by design. It can be separated by leverage, it's supposed to be able to come apart. If you were to lever the handhold to the side, it would release the dual lock. Second, the less intentional, is the adhesive for the strips does fail over time (ask me how I know). The two halves of the dual lock stay well connected, but it detaches from it's subsurface. Perhaps that could be overcome by better adhesive, but you'd need to remove what comes on it first. Maybe a version comes without any adhesive.
True enough... Depends on the forces applied to the hand holds. If they are large you would want mechanical fasteners or even epoxy. Teak hand holds cab be attached through the face up through what they are mounted on.

If you can't get behind the surface then perhaps mount from the face. Use a bung

We would really need to see a pic and or a drawing of the existing condition to "design" the mounting.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscoe View Post
Lag is the wrong word. I was thinking of a short ss screw, deep enough to go through the gelcoat and into the core, and use 5200 caulk.......
If you have core, it's probably balsa. It could also be plywood or maybe a synthetic. You haven't told what boat you have yet. In any case, the core material is not going to allow for any meaningful holding strength. As another mentioned, it's probably not all that thick either.

Where there is a will, there is a way, just not the way you hope. Wish you could post a pic. Even identifying the boat, allows folks to look up generic pics. Some have very creative ideas, when they see the challenge, rather than try to imagine.

p.s. If you penetrate the core material, I'd highly suggest potting the hole. Drill a slightly oversized hole, dig the core material back a bit, between the layers of glass. Then fill the hole completely, especially inside the groove you created, where core material used to be, with thickened epoxy, to form a plug. Then redrill your desired hole. This way the water absorbent core material can't get wet and rot, if water gets past the fixture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
If you have core, it's probably balsa.

p.s. If you penetrate the core material, I'd highly suggest potting the hole. Drill a slightly oversized hole, dig the core material back a bit, between the layers of glass. Then fill the hole completely, especially inside the groove you created, where core material used to be, with thickened epoxy, to form a plug. Then redrill your desired hole. This way the water absorbent core material can't get wet and rot, if water gets past the fixture.
This is exactly how I remounted my cabin top handholds, that were originally screwed into the core.
They haven't leaked or budged since. The hole I created was no greater in circumference than the base part of the handhold, but I dug back under the deck quite a bit, and filled with epoxy. As I recall, I had to drill/tap new smaller starter holes into the epoxy.
The Following User Says Thank You to tempest For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (4 Weeks Ago)

post #14 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
If you have core, it's probably balsa. It could also be plywood or maybe a synthetic. You haven't told what boat you have yet. In any case, the core material is not going to allow for any meaningful holding strength. As another mentioned, it's probably not all that thick either.

Where there is a will, there is a way, just not the way you hope. Wish you could post a pic. Even identifying the boat, allows folks to look up generic pics. Some have very creative ideas, when they see the challenge, rather than try to imagine.

Yes. If you are doing this to set screws, push tiny strips of 6 oz glass cloth into the cavity to reinforce it. This keeps the plug from cracking and gives the threads MUCH better bite. I've pull-tested this in research. It makes a difference.

But I'd through-bolt a hand hold or skip it. You need to KNOW it will hold.
capta and contrarian like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #15 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Without through bolting this handhold it isn't a very good idea. Better nothing than something that might fail when most needed, IMO.
Capta has the best solution and I think the only correct one.
If the glass bulkhead is thick enough and there is enough space between the inner and outer skins a toggle bolt may do the trick, but would not be as strong as a through bolt.
post #16 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Yes. If you are doing this to set screws, push tiny strips of 6 oz glass cloth into the cavity to reinforce it. This keeps the plug from cracking and gives the threads MUCH better bite. I've pull-tested this in research. It makes a difference.
Making a thick filler from milled glass fiber and resin does this too and is easier and cleaner to work with.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #17 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Another suggestion if there is sufficient thickness is a blind nut. There are many types and styles, and they go by different names - look for blind nut, threaded insert, rivet nut, jacknut, nutsert, and probably more names.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in