replacing solar vent - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

replacing solar vent

Yeah, another Nicro thread!
Just purchased this Cat 25. as you can see in the pic, the old Nicro vent cover had been snapped off and became a nice place for all manner of intrusion. I have a replacement vent unit but while the hole is the same size, the cover radius is wider. My intent is to remove the old fan unit, epoxy the previous screw holes and install the new vent using butyl tape.
1st question- is the overlap with the nonskid going to be an issue?
2nd question - having no history on how the original vent was installed, I'm assuming the worst and that they used 5200. what's the best way to go about removing without destroying the entire boat?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9015.JPG   IMG_9017.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 13 Hours Ago
Old as Dirt!

Re: replacing solar vent

There is a good article on the release of 3M 5200 on the BoatUS website, here. You might, however, try to remove the old vent fitting by hand first. The original installation instructions for the Nicro vents suggested using a non-adheasive sealant if the rubber gasket provided was inadequate so that may have been done, in which case a thin putty knife with a sharpened edge may be all you'll need (for a material such as LifeCaulk).

More salient (to my eyes) is the position of that vent, on the foredeck I suspect. If so, I'm guessing the original vent cover was ripped off by a sheet having been caught under the lip of the vent during a tack and, if so, I can guaranty that the larger replacement vent will be short lived absent a sheet guard over the vent unless you simply remove the vent and insert the weather cap when sailing which shoudn't be much of an issue as I suspect, on a Cal 25, most sailing will be day trips, no?

N'any case, good luck...

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #3 of 3 Old 1 Hour Ago Thread Starter

Re: replacing solar vent

Thanks for the Boatus link and a great point about it being an obstruction. I have a flush dome trim cover to go over it as a sheet guard that should mitigate the problem. Yeah, this is purely lake sailing so just day trips and fun club regattas.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in