Getting hoses off - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old 01-17-2020

Re: Getting hoses off

Boat 3, exhaust hose. *##*&** exhaust hose. I think it was 4" diameter, maybe bigger. It was big, it was long.

Step one, enter the coffin that is the cockpit locker lying on your back and of course remove the side panel to get access. The hose could only be described as the size of a boa constrictor that originated at the wet muffler and ended at the stern fitting. It would not come off. Heat, hack saw blades to tear into it, diagonal cutters to cut the spiral wire, more heat, more hack saw blades, one long day. I was much younger then, wouldn't even try it now.

Wrestling a boa constrictor in a coffin.

Good luck "out", rooting for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 01-17-2020

I apparently have a melange of size for hose "barbs" and hoses... Some of them may be metric???? Or maybe the spec on ID is off. I bought barbs from Amazon supplies and they do vary.

Many times the hose will not even go on the barb without heat. So when I do heat it and it softens so that it can be pushed on... invariably when it cools it shrinks tight to the barb and the clamps is not holding it on at all, But I do use a clamp never the less. A hose that slips on easily will likely leak and is the wrong size for the barb.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #23 of 45 Old 01-17-2020 Thread Starter

Combo of heat from hair dryer, vise grips on hose and using two progressively larger flathead screwdrivers got it done. Had wife hold vise grips lying on her belly with head out of the way. Light on flexible stork. Then while twisting hose used both screwdrivers together and twist them. That progressively pushes hose down as you go to bigger sizes. Once part tight on barb is now a fraction down with additional heat and twisting hose came off.
It needed 5 hands to do it.
WOO HOO!!!!

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Used a bit of each.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #24 of 45 Old 01-17-2020

This is one of the most annoying pain in the butt things to fix.

Remember... no matter how long you think it will take to fix or do the repair... it will always take 3x as long and cost 2x what you estimated. No 1 rule of yacht maintenance (unless you are Maine Sail )

post #25 of 45 Old 01-17-2020 Thread Starter

After fedex, brokerage and fees. $525US for the new pump. That part adds salt to the wound.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #26 of 45 Old 01-17-2020

What pump was it?

post #27 of 45 Old 01-17-2020 Thread Starter

Generic equivalent (marsh) for a Dometic . $345 pump, $85 brokerage, rest fedex from st. Martin island water world. Gets here Monday. Then once thereís a break go to st anse. Called and emailed. No pumps there in Martinique.
Getting a grandson flying down. Wife wants AC for him. I could sweat and she wouldnít care. Normally we donít use AC. She glows, men perspire, me and the horses sweat according to her. Sheíll only change the sheets if I shower regularly. I like clean sheets. Know mark thinks like Neapolitan but apparently Iím not Josephine. Of interest when thereís just men aboard they say Iím the least stinky.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #28 of 45 Old 01-17-2020
bell ringer

Ive gotten hunt so many times taking off hoses. If you don't smack your hand on something you cut it on something else. I now have gloves that are mostly for doing hoses, but if they dont come off pretty easy i cut the bastards.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don L; 01-17-2020 at 08:20 PM.
post #29 of 45 Old 01-17-2020

To late to be of practical use but you could consider cutting the hose and the splicing in some additional with a barb to barb joiner.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
The Following User Says Thank You to hpeer For This Useful Post:
bngDetroit (01-18-2020)
post #30 of 45 Old 01-17-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
If you donít have a heat gun, you can boil some water in an old coffee can, dunk a rag in the hot water using pliers, and wrap it around the end of the hose. Do it several times, as necessary, and it will soften the hose so you can force it off the barb. With this technique it is hard to overheat the hose, as can be the case with a heat gun. óbut it is messy.
I have used a variation of this technique effectively. Wrap the hose in a towel and pour the boiling water directly on the towel. Keep applying hot water until the hose is soft enough to remove.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in