Getting hoses off - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 Old 01-23-2020

Re: Getting hoses off

Lower watts can produce higher temps, just a matter of airflow to heat ratios.

The bigger unit is specifically designed **for drying hair** not vaporizing it!!
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 Old 01-23-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
One clarification - the hair dryer was on board when we bought the boat, and I used it once for defrosting the freezer. It isn't something we bought, or keep around for any real purpose. I don't know why I haven't tossed it, and defrosting the freezer would be faster using my heat gun.

Which still remains unavailable to me for unimportant reasons.

Mark
Been loaning tools have we?

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #43 of 45 Old 01-25-2020
bell ringer

Raitan told me specifically NOT to heat sanitation hoses. Just passing ii on with no comments or judgements from me required.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 45 Old 01-25-2020

Really guys... you should have extra hose in the run... just cut it off and use up some of the extra.
Or
Replace the run.... good idea to renew crappy old stuff.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #45 of 45 Old 01-26-2020

I always find it difficult to get hoses off and have enjoyed reading all the solutions offered on this thread. I especially like the bent removal tool depicted a couple pages back, might try to pick up one of those.

But it seems like I almost always damage the end of a hose when getting it off a barbed fitting, especially if heat was used (usually is) to get it on or it's not a tiny hose like on my refrig cooling pump so I worry that if I reuse that possibly damaged end it might decide to spring a leak someday when I'm not looking. Sometimes there's enough extra hose so I can remove a couple of inches of damaged hose and slip the remainder back on but frequently that's not the case so I keep a pretty good assortment of spare hose onboard because I end up having to replace the whole hose in question.

One solution offered has been to splice in a short section just prior to the pump or fitting. I've done that a few times on fresh water hoses but like to avoid splices to below the waterline salt water hoses such as for cooling air conditioning.

I understand that in this case access is difficult so don't have anything to offer other than what others have posted. For a hose like this that carries water below the waterline, I think I'd try really hard to replace the whole length and maybe leave a couple extra inches of hose so the next time I have to remove it there will be enough so I can just shorten it by the length of the barb and there will still be enough to slip the remainder back on. Good luck!

One last thing, as has been mentioned a Dremel tool does a good job cutting those difficult sanitation hoses with spiral plastic inside but another tool that makes a nice clean cut is a plunge saw. I know it's a little odd to keep one of those onboard but I also use it for sanding in difficult spots.

Last edited by jtsailjt; 01-26-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in