SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Getting hoses off (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/332420-getting-hoses-off.html)

outbound 01-16-2020 05:17 PM

Getting hoses off

Need advice. Any tricks to getting hoses off. Need to take the hose off the pump that supplies cooling water to the air conditioner. Itís down under a locker next to my electrical panel locker. Under this locker is actually part of the bilge. As expected salt water must of splashed up from the bilge and fried the pumps motor. I got the exhaust hose off but canít get the supply hose off. I unbolted the device from the bracket itís mounted on to get some access to the hose but still space is very limited. Any tricks you know would be appreciated. Thanks

MarkofSeaLife 01-16-2020 05:22 PM

Re: Getting hoses off

A heat gun is pretty good. It softens the hose nicely. It might be able to waft hot air into difficult to get to sides.
If no heat gun you could quietly borrow your wifes hair dryer.... quietly ;)

RegisteredUser 01-16-2020 05:37 PM

Picks can break the seal. Straight, angle, hooked picks...cheap kits

capta 01-16-2020 05:57 PM

If I don't need to save the hose, I'll just use the Dremel tool to cut it off. A couple of slices up and down the hose, even wire reinforced hose, wherever you can reach it, and you've saved lots of time. All you need to do is know the thickness of the hose, which you can get from the other end for your depth setting.

outbound 01-16-2020 06:03 PM

Hose in good shape. Donít want to have to rerun it. Other end goes to compressor. Donít want to struggle to get it off. But good thought in different setting. Have heat gun 2000+ miles away at home. Donít know where to find one here. Will try wifeís hair dryer. Picks not practical in this space and will damage hose. But thanks for the post. Have dental picks on the boat which are helpful in other settings.

colemj 01-16-2020 06:04 PM

This is a common problem that kicks me constantly. If you have enough spare hose length, the one thing that always works for me is to cut off the hose square at the end of the barb, then carefully slice the remaining bit lengthwise along the barb until you can pry it loose.

Of course, eventually you run out of spare hose length. And you need stitches from trying to carefully slice the remaining bit lengthwise along the barb...

I laugh at all the warnings and technical articles about double clamping hoses, and making sure the clamps are in specific orientations, and making sure you use only specific types and styles of clamps, etc. It seems like every time I slip a hose over a barb, it welds itself on and is never coming off again.

Mark

RegisteredUser 01-16-2020 06:17 PM

If cant pry then its heat and twist

capta 01-16-2020 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 2051647656)
Hose in good shape. Donít want to have to rerun it.

Well then, I'll tell you how I really do it. I married a younger woman who enjoys doing the mechanical work. All I need do is point and she's in there swearing at that damn hose (or any of a thousand other inanimate items aboard) as she works. Just as I would, were I doing the work!

mbianka 01-16-2020 06:35 PM

Recommend the Hair dryer not as hot as a heat gun but less chance of damage in a tight location.

outbound 01-16-2020 07:05 PM

I want one of those. Mine just tells me what Iím doing wrong.