Which emergency use fibreglass matting should I have? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 Old 01-19-2020

Re: Which emergency use fibreglass matting should I have?

You should consider wood storm covers for ports.

The repairs I would agree with Capta... 5/16... or 8mm plywood screwed with some butyl or foam material as a sealant.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 Old 01-19-2020

Cloth and woven roving are full of holes and will leak badly unless multiple layers are used and then the layup will be way resin rich. You need mat to fill the pukas in the fabric. The stuff with matt stitched to the cloth would be what you should carry.

This is not something I'd like to do at sea. If you are worried about a large penetration, a collision mat would be the best solution. For ports the traditional emergency repair is plywood precut to the rough dimensions of port(s) and fastened with drywall or self tapping screws when needed
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #23 of 54 Old 01-19-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
I've read so many times that toilet bowl wax is a good emergency supply to keep on board. I carry two of them. Slather on a piece of plywood and screw it over the hole. I've never had to do it, but it sounds reasonable.
I recently had to change a seacock in the water. Used toilet bowl wax to seal the outside. I have to say that it only worked because I was able to jam it in the hole. This was in my slip on a warm day in calm water. It would not stick to the hull at all and I don't think you'd be able to get any quantity of it to stick in the scenario suggested here.

post #24 of 54 Old 01-20-2020 Thread Starter

Dock

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Another $20 saved.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #25 of 54 Old 01-20-2020

After seeing the vid posted on this site of the couple who developed a 2 ft split seam in their hull, Iím going to put a half gallon of underwater epoxy in stowage. I think itís very, very hard to punch an open hole into a fiberglass hull. However, having a split like they did seems like a greater potential, if one really rammed something. No idea how they managed to get the split. I only watched the vid of their passage and forgot who they were. I wonder if there was any followup on cause or repair.

Blowing out glass above decks is much more plausible. As many mentioned, that would require a hard cover of some sort. I have some small lumber aboard, but nothing like this. Itís not terribly practical to store a sheet of plywood big enough to cover our largest glass port. Iíve always wondered if a few 4ft lengths of a tongue and groove board would make sense. Could be epoxied together to make a wider piece as needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 54 Old 01-20-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
After seeing the vid posted on this site of the couple who developed a 2 ft split seam in their hull, Iím going to put a half gallon of underwater epoxy in stowage. I think itís very, very hard to punch an open hole into a fiberglass hull. However, having a split like they did seems like a greater potential, if one really rammed something. No idea how they managed to get the split. I only watched the vid of their passage and forgot who they were. I wonder if there was any followup on cause or repair.

Blowing out glass above decks is much more plausible. As many mentioned, that would require a hard cover of some sort. I have some small lumber aboard, but nothing like this. Itís not terribly practical to store a sheet of plywood big enough to cover our largest glass port. Iíve always wondered if a few 4ft lengths of a tongue and groove board would make sense. Could be epoxied together to make a wider piece as needed.
You can stow plywood as large as any mattress on your boat.... under the mattress of course.
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #27 of 54 Old 01-20-2020 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
You can stow plywood as large as any mattress on your boat.... under the mattress of course.

Depends on your back.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #28 of 54 Old 01-20-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I carry two 24"x48" sheets of plywood under the mattress as well as a fibreglass repair kit on my 21 foot boat. Doesn't take much space.

Blew a flush forepeak hatch on a 60 foot rsearch boat a bunch of years ago powering into some decent sized lumps. Took on a couple tons of water before we even noticed the hatch was stove in. Makes sense to have something. I always figured plywood, but I am sure other things might work too.
post #29 of 54 Old 01-20-2020

I'd agree with keeping a piece of plywood or 2 handy over glass cloth and especially roving. That stuff is hard enough to work with and not have it start to unravel on you on a good day on land. If I had to carry cloth and epoxy it would be a few yards of 1708. Its much more dimensionally stable (and stronger) than roving. Take fewer layers (and therefore epoxy) to produce a waterproof and strong laminate.
post #30 of 54 Old 01-20-2020

Have lined forepeak locker with plywood to save interior when thing get bouncy. Pieces bigger than hatches. Saloon seats are foam. Also bigger than hatches.
Drill hole through middle of ply and make hole in middle of foam
Put foam cushion over hatch with ply up top.
Put loop of rope through ply and foam.
Put boat hook through rope on out side.
Go below. Take second boat hook and place pass two sides of opening. Tie rope but leave extra for Spanish windlass.
Take large screwdriver and tighten windlass to compress foam .
Done and fairly waterproof.

You have two boat hooks on board already as well as the other bits. No expense and nothing to decontruct when you go to fix hatch.
chall03, SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in