Which emergency use fibreglass matting should I have? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 54 Old 01-23-2020

Re: Which emergency use fibreglass matting should I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
.....You can't use fiberglass resin in wet conditions.....and even if dry, bouncing around in bad conditions, trying to mix and spilling resin would be an additional disaster.
I agree that traditionally wetting out glass, doesn't strike me as a viable emergency procedure. It was one of the scenes in Robert Redford's, All is Lost, that I found silly (many others too, including how the hole was made in the first place).

However, epoxy made for underwater use is a different story. It's thick (some even as thick as putty) and typically mixes 1:1, so measuring isn't that hard. I've not needed it for survival, but have for other purposes. Perhaps the bigger problem, especially in bad conditions, is that it could find itself adhered to everything within striking distance, including the crew. Very, very sticky. A box of nitrile gloves is a good idea aboard, for all sorts of reasons.
SanderO and overthehorizon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 Old 01-23-2020

it's hard enough to work with epoxy on a calm day and a level surface. Use the stuff Minni recommends. have storm covers for the ports in the hull and plywood and the right range of screws and washers to make emergency repairs.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #53 of 54 Old 01-23-2020 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
spare hatch board, and set it outside the break and take a stainless steel pipe to secure from the inside. The join was a length of line used like a Spanish Windlass.

Very nifty trick!

I will keep that idea in the shaddows of my mind.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #54 of 54 Old 01-23-2020
Catalina 400 MKII

Good ideas. I was thinking about how to seal the repair of a plywood hatch cover. Still consider using toilet bowl wax to stuff in the "lip" of the gap between plywood and deck. Think: deck, rubber matting, plywood with the wax to fill any cracks. Or use pieces of cloth to fill any gaps. Then I thought (the reason for this post) ... I wonder if you could use expanding foam (like from an aroseol can you buy at a hardware store). Would it become waterproof? Would it set in a moist environment? It would be interesting to experiment with it, to see if it works.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in