Cruising Sails Recommendations: Pacific Seacraft - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Cruising Sails Recommendations: Pacific Seacraft

Hopefully, this is not as contentious of a question like, "Which boat is better...".

But, I am looking to replace my current mainsail and headsail on my Pacific Seacraft 31. They're both original Ullman sails that are about 23 years. They are in decent condition. Still, I'm not sure that I would trust them offshore due to their age.

I was originally planning to get the new sails made at Port Townsend Sails. Unfortunately, Carol Hasse is retiring and they're no longer taking new orders.

I am leaning towards going with Ullman sails (Endurance series). Pacific Seacraft went with them originally and I guess that is a good vote of confidence.

But, may I ask for feedback from the experienced members in this community? I am not experienced purchasing sails and I want to avoid making a stupid decision. I am looking for good quality offshore cruising sails. Are there any particular brands you would recommend?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Cruising Sails Recommendations: Pacific Seacraft

North Sails, no experience with them. Might be worth some of your time to investigate them.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #3 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Unless you know a great deal about sails, I would suggest that you go with a local sailmaker. They will come out and measure your boat and discuss your needs and they will give you their opinion and an estimate. When done they will (should) help you hank the sails on and make sure they fit properly. Should there be a problem, they can take it back to their loft and get to work while the problems are still fresh in their head. No packaging up the sail and shipping it, trying to explain what you want redone. It will probably cost a bit more, but well worth it in my opinion. Should a problem develop after a period of time, it's handy to have the sailmaker locally to help determine whether you deserve some reduced charges on the repairs.
Back when, a good sailmaker would go sailing with you to see how his sails work, but that's probably a forlorn hope these days.
If you are looking for cruising sails, don't scrimp on the added expense of leather at the appropriate points and maybe a third stitching on the seams. If you plan an extended down hill run, have a baggywrinkle party and put them up to save your sails. If not, I think they make a cruising boat look salty, but they are a lot of work for that salty look.
Jeff_H likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Capta has good advice, but what may have been lost in it is that major sail lofts have local sailmaker representatives. So I don't think he meant only the local independent sailmaker, but rather a local sailmaker in general. You can get "local" North, Doyle, etc sail service in measuring, fitting, and modifications, even though the actual sails themselves may be made overseas.

Carol Hasse retiring is a milestone - a good one for her, but not for us. All things must come to an end, though.

IMO, panelled sails are a thing of the past. Molded sails, like North's 3Di process, is the future. Right now, North introduced this, and dominates the market, but the others will be following ASAP. This sail process produces an unibody sail of a single cut of "cloth" molded precisely to your boat and rig design. It can be done in Dacron, or any exotic fiber you wish. The process involves laying many layers of thin unidirectional tapes impregnated with resin over an adjustable mold, then putting them under heat and pressure and melting it all together. The result is a single piece of "cloth" like a woven sail, with all of the fibers laying along load paths like a laminated sail, but without all the problems of a laminated sail.

However, it is expensive right now compared to traditional sailmaking. This should change in the future when more facilities are built and more competition from others occurs. It is actually less expensive to make these sails than traditionally, because there is no labor costs for cutting, sewing, etc. The molds and fiber layout is all done robotically, and the finishing work is minimal.

At 31', a decent grade of Dacron crosscut would serve you very well. A PS31 isn't a speed demon, nor will respond dramatically to exotic sails, so you should look for durability and a perfect fit. The durability is served by something like Challenge Marblehead or the like, and the perfect fit will be had by following Capta's advice.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #5 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I think they make a cruising boat look salty, but they are a lot of work windage for that salty look.
Used the wrong "w" word. Fixed it.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #6 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies.

I will check out some of the local lofts here in Seattle. I have been hearing some good things about Ballard Sails.
post #7 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Agree that a good quality dacron sail makes the most sense for you. And being able to talk to someone about your requirements will be very helpful. Note even dacron cruising sails can vary quite a bit based on the cloth used and the details. The lofts should be able to explain the choices and the costs.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #8 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fune31 View Post
Thank you for your replies.

I will check out some of the local lofts here in Seattle. I have been hearing some good things about Ballard Sails.
Yes, Ballard has been producing some very fast racing sails, although I havent seen their cruising sails.

Good advice above...avoid buying based on price alone. There is a huge difference between sails produced by the major lofts and online sail lofts both in initial build quality and after sales support.

Good sailmakers are a dying breed. Support your local sail loft or you will be stuck with chinese garbage as your only option in the future!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #9 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Offshore..not local..is not all chinese and its not all..garbage

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in