Standing Rigging Replacement - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Standing Rigging Replacement

I've had my current boat (1988 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34) for about a year, and a little voice inside my head is telling me its probably time to replace the standing rigging. I had it surveyed when I purchased it, and the surveyor stated that there were no obvious defects, but the previous owner stated he had never had it replaced and he owned it for a good 20 years. So, I think the rigging is at least 20 years old.

So, I am attempting to get quotes for replacement. Can anyone give me a rough idea (I'm in Norfolk, VA) on what I should reasonably expect to spend?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Standing Rigging Replacement

You can find material cost at places like riggingonly
post #3 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Here is a link to Annapolis Rigging's guestimate page. Keep in mind there is an Annapolis premium for about everything. Also, your chain plates are also probably original. I'd think about replacement at probably $1,500 if you do it yourself.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for AR's numbers: Wire Rigging - Annapolis Rigging

post #4 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If you are going cruising would do the rigging yourself. 7mm/9/32 wire and StaLok terminals won't set you back a lot and you'll know the rig intimately when your done. Mechanical terminals like StaLok are really easy to fit with minimal tools and time. Rigged my first boat in a little over a day because it had so many fittings and I really did it slow.

Take down the wires one or two at a time, cut the wire to the same size, assemble the fittings and reinstall. With practice you can knock out a fitting in less than 15 minutes. Support the mast with halyards when you bring down the wires. In rerigging current boat did all but the headstay by myself with the mast in place. Had help for less than an hour to do the headstay to keep from kinking the furler extrusion.

This site pretty much covers all the possible ways to ascend solo. These are two ways I've gone up the mast many many times. Both require effort but I'm 75 and manage to do it at least once a year to inspect the rigging, if for no other reason. Mast Climber: ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast or mountain climbing gear:
post #5 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you are going cruising would do the rigging yourself. 7mm/9/32 wire and StaLok terminals won't set you back a lot and you'll know the rig intimately when your done. Mechanical terminals like StaLok are really easy to fit with minimal tools and time. Rigged my first boat in a little over a day because it had so many fittings and I really did it slow.

Take down the wires one or two at a time, cut the wire to the same size, assemble the fittings and reinstall. With practice you can knock out a fitting in less than 15 minutes. Support the mast with halyards when you bring down the wires. In rerigging current boat did all but the headstay by myself with the mast in place. Had help for less than an hour to do the headstay to keep from kinking the furler extrusion.

This site pretty much covers all the possible ways to ascend solo. These are two ways I've gone up the mast many many times. Both require effort but I'm 75 and manage to do it at least once a year to inspect the rigging, if for no other reason. Mast Climber: ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast or mountain climbing gear: Unassisted Mast Climbing using a GriGri - YouTube
+1 on the mast climber, doing it yourself, and using sta locks or equivalent. Industry rule of thumb is 10-12 years is average designed working life for standing rigging - some boats get way longer than that, obviously. The work's not rocket surgery but it may be a good idea to hire a rigger for assistance / lessons if you're not fairly mechanically inclined when you do the first set of replacements and for the rig tuning at the end......

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #6 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

My 39 foot boat was done by professionals and it was about $6,000. So chop a few cents off that and consider thats the ball park for a professional.

If you get it $1,000 cheaper yippee.... but its not going to be half the cost of mine.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

OK so it appears my choices are to try to do it myself spending maybe $2,000 in materials (based on the Annapolis Rigging web site) and accept I will have to commit a good amount of time to it and also make many trips up and down the mast (and probably invest in an upgraded mast climbing system) or probably pay $5-6k to a professional and have the job done quickly and correctly.

On the plus side for diy- cheaper, learn everything I need to know about rigging, and easier to make adjustments/repairs as needed going forward

On the other hand, plus side for the pros- I know the job is done right, won't have to worry the wife with many trips up the mast, and the job is done much, much faster then I will be able to do it (working full time and baby at home really eats into the free time) which leaves more time for sailing.

For those who have done the job themselves, how feasible is it to do the job in pieces- one shroud or stay at a time as time allows?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #8 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I have a Pacific Seacraft 31, which I think has the same rigging setup as a 34. I had all my standing rigging replaced last year and it was $3800 including parts and labor.

If your roller furler is from 1988, you may want to replace that while the rigging is being replaced. That would be an additional $2,300 (Was for me: Harken Mark IV).
post #9 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

I think you've analysed the advice very well.

I don't go up my mast anymore. Its nothing to do with 'worrying the wife'. Its to do with a cost/risk analysis. I do have the money even though I am squeamish about ever opening my wallet. But I only have 1 fragile body and one slip from mast height and the whole job never needs to be completed... if ya know what I mean

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #10 of 29 Old 2 Weeks Ago

My rod rigging was replaced at about 22yrs on a precautionary basis. Allowing for inflation and the difference in cost for stranded wire, my guess is that it would cost you about $3500 to have it done professionally. While you are at it, you might consider overhauling your furler top and bottom bearings. That cost me about $800, also done by the riggers.

P.S. the rigging was installed with the boat at the dock by 2 riggers working a couple of hours.

Tags
crealock 34 , standing rigging

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in