What kinda mounted GPS unit should I buy? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 01-30-2020 Thread Starter

Re: What kinda mounted GPS unit should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
Laptop or Ipad is fine for work at the chart table. Not a fan of using either laptop or phone in the cockpit. My preference is a dedicated mounted chartplotter. You can buy a reliable chartplotter -fishfinder for less than $500 bucks. WAY better than trying to look at a phone or fumble with a laptop-tablet- whatcha pad. Recently replaced my old Garmin which had been on the boat for more than 10 years.

Yeah, I do sorta like the sounds of this better. The Garmin ECHOMAP, which Tempest mentioned, looks pretty good.

Good to know I could also get this Navionics app on my MacBook for easy use at the chart table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 01-30-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
There is no fumbling..and it can move with you
Your station changes and it goes with you.
Seriouly, give it a try
A 10" tablet spanks a small whatever
Its very friendly
Yeah, I haven't ruled this out either. Good point about the screen size too. Maybe I could even mount an iPad so it could swing out into the companionway for easy viewing from the cockpit.
post #13 of 44 Old 01-30-2020

Dock

I’ll second the votes for the IPhone with Navionics. Maybe add Navionics to your iPad if you have on - can be useful for route planning while belowdecks or in settled weather.

My Garmin 541s chart plotter died last winter on my way from Florida to the Bahamas and I enjoyed a couple of months cruising the Ábacos and back to Florida using just my phone and had no troubles. Kept it in a cup holder at the binnacle and never had a worry about it getting tossed. It’s easy enough to see when I need it, even for an old guy like me.

The cell phone with Navionics is also portable....I used it on Lake Ontario last summer on a multi day sail with my brother and on coastal kayaking adventures in the Carolinas....

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogandy For This Useful Post:
Vagab0nd (01-30-2020)

post #14 of 44 Old 01-30-2020

We have a Raymarine C90w mounted in the cockpit, but we also have Navionics on a 7" samsung tablet in an otterbox case.

The installed unit is only really visible from the helm position and its main use is sending and receiving data with other instruments and the VHF radio. The nice thing is the AIS data from the vhf is displayed on the chart, along with wind and speed data.

The tablet is way more convenient for looking ahead, zooming up to see detail, and measuring distances. The touch screen is the way to go for that stuff. The nice thing about the tablet is that it is available for anyone to look at anywhere on the boat. The otterbox is rubberized so it can sit on a cockpit seat and not slide around even upwind, and if it does hit the deck it just bounces.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
The Following User Says Thank You to SchockT For This Useful Post:
Vagab0nd (01-30-2020)
post #15 of 44 Old 01-30-2020

I will say that I use all means available. I have both a Fixed mounted Plotter, and Ipad and an Iphone. They all have their pluses and minuses. And, it gives me redundancy.
bigdogandy likes this.
post #16 of 44 Old 01-30-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I asked about size of boat as smaller boats may not have battery or room capacity for a chartplotter.

My preference on 25 and above is a chartplotter with Navionics backed up by an I pad with the same.
bigdogandy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Vagab0nd (01-30-2020)
post #17 of 44 Old 01-30-2020 Thread Starter

Some really solid points made for the tablet approach.
post #18 of 44 Old 01-31-2020

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagab0nd View Post
Some really solid points made for the tablet approach.
.....and for having a backup system or two in case your primary fails!

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #19 of 44 Old 01-31-2020
Sailor

I’m going to be a person who rains on this parade. sorry! The major problem with iPads, tablets, smart phones is it’s really hard to see the screen in the bright sunlight and they tend to overheat when used this way. It will need constant charging too. I have Navionics loade iPhone which I use as backup and it is wonderful! As others say it will need to be in a case which may decrease its functionality.

It’s better to know before you buy...

Tod
BarryL and hallucination like this.

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #20 of 44 Old 01-31-2020

A life proof case has minimal impact on functionality.

I have read this about not being able to see phone and tablet screens on bright days a lot of times, but I have never known it to be an issue in regular use. I have been using a phone for a chart plotter for years in the exact area the OP is from, first a waterproof Sonim running Plan2nav, now a Samsung S8 running Navionics in a Lifeproof case. It works great. I use the phone for both sailing and sea kayaking.

The charging issue is fairly easy to tackle. My 21 ft boat has an inverter, but even a 12 volt cigarrette lighter charger works fine. Most helm mounted chart plotters need plugged in too. The ones that don't go through a pile of AA batteries.

I do carry a hand held garmin chartplotter for back up. But it's the garmin that is the back up, not the other way around.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in