SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What kinda mounted GPS unit should I buy? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/332572-what-kinda-mounted-gps-unit-should-i-buy.html)

Vagab0nd 01-30-2020 04:59 PM

What kinda mounted GPS unit should I buy?

I'm looking to get one in the spring so I can start to explore the lake with more confidence, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the options. What is a GPS unit should I get? Something under $1000 for sure.

RegisteredUser 01-30-2020 05:37 PM

Re: What kinda mounted GPS unit should I buy?

A pad/tablet thats gps enabled..and chart for your area.
Far under $1k

Arcb 01-30-2020 05:41 PM

Navionics on your phone/tablet with a Lifeproof case? $30/year ish. It's pretty good.

The app is called Boating HD. There is a 2 week free trial if you want to play with it.

Good place to start.

chef2sail 01-30-2020 06:54 PM

What sized boat and what’s your sailing area like?
Navionics on your phone or I pad.

Vagab0nd 01-30-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051650304)
What sized boat and what’s your sailing area like?
Navionics on your phone or I pad.

CS27 on Lake Ontario.

Wow, so everyone's just saying iPad with the Navionic app, eh? I'm surprised. That's def an affordable option.

RegisteredUser 01-30-2020 07:09 PM

Just protect it and plan for charging needs.
Youll be golden

Arcb 01-30-2020 07:16 PM

It should get you started. I know the Kingston area pretty well. The main cruising areas are going to be the Thousand Islands and Bay of Quinte. Both are pretty well marked with buoys. No doubt the electronic charts are helpful, but once you are on to your visual land marks, you are pretty good.

Open Lake Ontario is pretty straight forward. Mostly just use the GPS for finding harbour entrances

tempest 01-30-2020 07:39 PM

I really liked my Garmin 546 display on a swing mount on the binnacle. ( 5 inch display) I don't know what it's replacement is. Maybe the Echomap plus. Problem is they discontinue their units so fast nowadays.

I replaced it with the 741xs when I added radar, but that's also now discontinued ( but still functioning fine)
as I'm sure the 546 is to the guy I sold it to. Just don't expect much support after a few years ;-(

contrarian 01-30-2020 08:06 PM

Laptop or Ipad is fine for work at the chart table. Not a fan of using either laptop or phone in the cockpit. My preference is a dedicated mounted chartplotter. You can buy a reliable chartplotter -fishfinder for less than $500 bucks. WAY better than trying to look at a phone or fumble with a laptop-tablet- whatcha pad. Recently replaced my old Garmin which had been on the boat for more than 10 years.

RegisteredUser 01-30-2020 08:28 PM

There is no fumbling..and it can move with you
Your station changes and it goes with you.
Seriouly, give it a try
A 10" tablet spanks a small whatever
Its very friendly