Wire to tie shrounds to spreaders? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 2 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Wire to tie shrounds to spreaders?

Hey. Replacing the standing rigging this winter and when I removed the upper shrouds I found they were wired to the spreader ends with small diameter multi-strand wire. Then the joint were wrapped with rigging tape.

Wire is 1/16" diameter and only about 7 strands. There is no corrosion (salt water sailboat) and no galvanic corrosion of the shroud so I assume the wire is 316SS like the shroud wire. This wire seems like it is annealed because it bends easily and holds its shape.

Standard marine cable is many more strands than this stuff and I don't believe it can be easily bent. Any tips on where to buy this or even what the product is called?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 1 Hour Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Wire to tie shrounds to spreaders?

If it bends easily and holds its shape I would suggest it is Monel seizing wire, not SS of any grade. SS wire that size does not bend easily and does not make good seizing wire. Ormiston is the brand of monel seizing wire which comes on small spools in 10 meter lengths that we use.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 5 Old 45 Minutes Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I looked up seizing wire and cannot find any multi-strand wire. Is it available from your distributor? I am hesitant to use single strand because it is not in a place that can be easily inspected.

post #4 of 5 Old 19 Minutes Ago
Master Mariner

Several wraps of single strand monel seizing wire is what I would use to do the job. I wire all my shackles, anchor and aloft with it. After all, that is what it is produced for. I think it would be most difficult to get multi strand wire tight enough to do the job properly. But hey, it's your boat so you can do it any way you want. That's the really nice thing about boats. No permits or regulations to get in the way of doing jobs around the boat.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 5 Old 17 Minutes Ago Thread Starter

"No permits or regulations to get in the way of doing jobs around the boat. " Haha

Yeah can't really find multi-strand without buying 5/16" and deconstructing it at a pretty hefty cost for about a foot of wire. I'll take your idea and use a couple wraps. I was just trying to replicate what was there originally. Thanks again

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in