Bronze Engine Plugs: Ok to us Teflon tape? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-06-2020 Thread Starter

Bronze Engine Plugs: Ok to us Teflon tape?

I removed my hot water heater hoses and I am going to put bronze plugs where the hoses attached to the engine.

Is it ok to apply teflon tape to the bronze plugs' threads? I'm worried about the tape breaking off when I screw the plugs into engine. Is there a better product to use to seal the plugs?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-06-2020

Re: Bronze Engine Plugs: Ok to us Teflon tape?

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I'd like to subscribe to your post and see all the replies you may get. I am also thinking of removing those hoses engine-water heater, and the water heater too which I don't use.

I don't know if you can plug them, but I think I've seen some youtube video with a westerbeke engine (13-18?) out of the boat, running and has a small hose serving as a bypass for the in and out that are suppose to be connected to the water heater. Not sure this will help.

Best
post #3 of 11 Old 02-06-2020

it is ok to use the tape on coolant system just don't wrap the tape on the first thread then it will not be inside the engine. if in doubt use a thread sealer instead but still leave the first thread bare. tape is never recommended to be used in fuel systems. Tape can cause the fittings to become loose as the engine vibrates and the tape compresses.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #4 of 11 Old 02-07-2020

Dock

A long time ago I did plumbing and heating. We only occasionally used teflon tape and usually not on a fitting that bore pressure, like showerheads. Teflon paste is by far superior. It's not that the tape might fail, it's that with paste, you never have the little gaps and wrinkles you get in tape that might allow a leak.

https://smile.amazon.com/Harvey-0230...1075600&sr=8-5
bristol299bob likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilCarlson For This Useful Post:
fune31 (02-11-2020)
post #5 of 11 Old 02-07-2020
Master Mariner

Are you sure you want to add another dissimilar metal to your engine sea water cooling system?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 11 Old 02-07-2020
Master Mariner

Actually, now that I think about it, our water heater was plumbed into the fresh water circulation hoses on the Perkins. Just needed to run the hose w/o the water heater in the line. I would guess the Westerbeke would be the same. If so, no plugs needed on the engine.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 11 Old 02-07-2020 Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

I went with plumbers sealant today rather than the teflon tape. It worked very well.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-10-2020

Fune31, just a quick comment if I may.

A couple of years ago I was looking for bronze plugs and I could not find any supplier, anywhere.
Mostly they sold brass for bronze.
I am not sure where you got yours, but just make sure they are bronze.

The Westerbeke comments above are correct, there is a small hose from the outlet to the inlet port.

Lastly, there is no reason not to use a regular steel plug (better than brass), as the rest of the engine is all steel, and it does have a zinc in the system to protect its innards due to dissimilar metals.
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTatia For This Useful Post:
fune31 (02-11-2020)
post #9 of 11 Old 02-11-2020 Thread Starter

SVTatia, thank you for your post.

I was able to get Bronze plugs at Fisheries Supplies and I used those. However, I originally ordered plugs from the local Yanmar dealer. I received steel plugs from them and they said that they would be fine. I was hesitant to use the steel plugs, though. So, I went with the bronze ones.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-11-2020

The point some were making was that a bronze plug on a steel part, in the presence of an electrolyte, will/could create galvanic corrosion. Steel would seem to be the better choice in this circumstance.

I’m also not sure, but saw mentioned that the hot water heating loop may be integral to the coolant circulation and couldn’t, therefore, be blocked. If that is the case, a jumper hose between the two previous barbs would be the solution to remove the heater.

Not saying you don’t have this, just adding to what’s already been said.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in