Gas with alcohol - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 02-07-2020

Re: Gas with alcohol

New gas tanks will let air in but not out. Stated to be able to tolerate the increased pressure when tank is left in the dinghy in the sun.
Still, issues of humid air getting into gas tanks remains. Iím in the Caribbean for present so personally a non issue. When in New England throw out gas or run through lawn mower if more than a few months old. Store tanks in cool,dry place. Use biobor for gas. When I can buy gas at local small craft airport. Always remove fuel line and run carburetor dry if using a two stroke and it wonít be run daily. Less of an issue with efi 4 stroke.
Immediately put water separating and 5 u filter on any gas engine. Ideally when first bought. Best $35-100 youíll spent on your dinghy engine. Now here most all cruisers do it or filter their gas when filling up.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 02-07-2020

Years ago I remember my car was running really rough and the suspicion was water in the fuel. I poured a bottle of methyl hydrate into the tank, and solved the problem. The hygroscopic nature of alcohol is not necessarily a bad thing. I can't help wonder if water contamination in fuel is less of an issue with alcohol blended fuels since the alcohol brings the water from the tank with it when it is burned.

At least alcohol is a renewable fuel. I remember back in the '80s when I lived in South America, Brazil had many alcohol powered cars. Every gas station sold cane alcohol at the pumps. You could buy brand new cars that were modified to burn alcohol. It is cleaner and cheaper than gasoline.

Of course if farmers are producing crops to make alcohol instead of food, that could be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #13 of 13 Old 02-07-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Buy local, support the way our economy should work. Market driven economies only work when they are not encumbered and "free" enterprise may prevail. We are not only sickening our family farmers businesses but our health when the food we eat is driven by agri-business. The incidence of cancer and obesity is not declining but skyrocketing. Hmmm...wonder why with all of the "improvements" in agriculture we now have? We are totally willing to pay more for good local (read we know the person who grew or raised it) food than the typical foods available. We are fortunate we can have such to purchase even if more expensive. Many folks don't have a choice.

Now I need to get back to applying for that not raising pork subsidy, so that I can then apply for the not raising corn subsidy! We are already trying to decide how to spend those monies.....

......durn need better ground tackle here, thread drift alert is going off!!!
Minnewaska likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in