SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Gas with alcohol (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/332652-gas-alcohol.html)

Waltthesalt 02-06-2020 09:15 PM

Gas with alcohol

I have an outboard which I seldom use. When I exchanged the gas, a year old, I had leaks in the relatively recent hose and squeeze bulb. The culprit appears to be using gas with alcohol. If you run your engine frequently and the fuel goes thru it's apparently not a problem. Only when the gas sits for a long while.

Interlude 02-06-2020 09:26 PM

Re: Gas with alcohol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waltthesalt (Post 2051651766)
I have an outboard which I seldom use. When I exchanged the gas, a year old, I had leaks in the relatively recent hose and squeeze bulb. The culprit appears to be using gas with alcohol. If you run your engine frequently and the fuel goes thru it's apparently not a problem. Only when the gas sits for a long while.

Gotta use the ethanol free stuff. Usually available around the marine environment. Heck it's even better to use it in your car as well but harder to find away from the coast. Kinda of a shame we take up so much farmland just to burn it in our cars. Jus my two cents worth.:)

SchockT 02-06-2020 09:35 PM

I would question the quality of the fuel hose. Alcohol will not harm rubber, but can cause some synthetic seals to swell.

Regardless you should avoid ethanol blends for marine purposes, particularly if it is being stored for long periods. Alcohol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. Once it becomes saturated with water it can cause fuel system corrosion and even electrolysis in the fuel system.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

pdqaltair 02-06-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waltthesalt (Post 2051651766)

No, I don't think so.

a. All hoses and bulbs are now ethanol rated.
b. Old ethanol can absorb water, which can lead to separation and corrosion of aluminum, but fresh vs. old is not a factor with elastomers.
c. Use the motor more often.:)

So long as you close the vent when not in use the gas will not absorb water. If you want to prevent corrosion, add Biobor EB or Stabil Ethanol Marine 360. Many of the others are snake oil.

Minnewaska 02-07-2020 07:58 AM

Years back, I googled ethanol free fuel and learned of many nearby stations that offered it. I was pleasantly surprised. Ethanol is evil, in more than one way. It serves virtually no purpose any longer, other than drive profit to agri-business, who lobby hard for the mandate.

Interlude 02-07-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051651824)
Years back, I googled ethanol free fuel and learned of many nearby stations that offered it. I was pleasantly surprised. Ethanol is evil, in more than one way. It serves virtually no purpose any longer, other than drive profit to agri-business, who lobby hard for the mandate.

Agreed!

....but seriously just think about all the incentives out there for agriculture, we are thinking about not raising pigs so we can get that subsidy, heck we might just apply for the not raising corn subsidy to not feed the pigs we won't raise!

....don't get me started!

midwesterner 02-07-2020 08:47 AM

Yes, the greatest welfare recipients are American farmers. .

pdqaltair 02-07-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwesterner (Post 2051651840)
Yes, the greatest welfare recipients are American farmers. .

No, agri-business.

The common misconception is that these are family farmers (if it were family farms we would mind a lot less).

I don't have a problem with business, but it should not be subsidized. Market economy.

midwesterner 02-07-2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 2051651868)
No, agri-business.

The common misconception is that these are family farmers (if it were family farms we would mind a lot less).

I don't have a problem with business, but it should not be subsidized. Market economy.

I know a few family farms here in Missouri, who have applied for the support payments. I know a few corn farmers who sell only to our ethanol plant here. They don't even grow food anymore.

Minnewaska 02-07-2020 11:38 AM

Big agri-business is funding generic farm lobbying, of which ethanol is only one example. International trade agreements too. All players benefit or get hurt.