Gas with alcohol - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-06-2020 Thread Starter

Gas with alcohol

I have an outboard which I seldom use. When I exchanged the gas, a year old, I had leaks in the relatively recent hose and squeeze bulb. The culprit appears to be using gas with alcohol. If you run your engine frequently and the fuel goes thru it's apparently not a problem. Only when the gas sits for a long while.

Walt Elliott
Kingston WA
Puget Sound
Cal-29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-06-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Re: Gas with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltthesalt View Post
I have an outboard which I seldom use. When I exchanged the gas, a year old, I had leaks in the relatively recent hose and squeeze bulb. The culprit appears to be using gas with alcohol. If you run your engine frequently and the fuel goes thru it's apparently not a problem. Only when the gas sits for a long while.
Gotta use the ethanol free stuff. Usually available around the marine environment. Heck it's even better to use it in your car as well but harder to find away from the coast. Kinda of a shame we take up so much farmland just to burn it in our cars. Jus my two cents worth.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-06-2020

I would question the quality of the fuel hose. Alcohol will not harm rubber, but can cause some synthetic seals to swell.

Regardless you should avoid ethanol blends for marine purposes, particularly if it is being stored for long periods. Alcohol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. Once it becomes saturated with water it can cause fuel system corrosion and even electrolysis in the fuel system.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #4 of 13 Old 02-06-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltthesalt View Post
No, I don't think so.

a. All hoses and bulbs are now ethanol rated.
b. Old ethanol can absorb water, which can lead to separation and corrosion of aluminum, but fresh vs. old is not a factor with elastomers.
c. Use the motor more often.

So long as you close the vent when not in use the gas will not absorb water. If you want to prevent corrosion, add Biobor EB or Stabil Ethanol Marine 360. Many of the others are snake oil.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #5 of 13 Old 02-07-2020

Years back, I googled ethanol free fuel and learned of many nearby stations that offered it. I was pleasantly surprised. Ethanol is evil, in more than one way. It serves virtually no purpose any longer, other than drive profit to agri-business, who lobby hard for the mandate.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-07-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Years back, I googled ethanol free fuel and learned of many nearby stations that offered it. I was pleasantly surprised. Ethanol is evil, in more than one way. It serves virtually no purpose any longer, other than drive profit to agri-business, who lobby hard for the mandate.
Agreed!

....but seriously just think about all the incentives out there for agriculture, we are thinking about not raising pigs so we can get that subsidy, heck we might just apply for the not raising corn subsidy to not feed the pigs we won't raise!

....don't get me started!
post #7 of 13 Old 02-07-2020

Yes, the greatest welfare recipients are American farmers. .
olson34 and Minnesail like this.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-07-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Yes, the greatest welfare recipients are American farmers. .
No, agri-business.

The common misconception is that these are family farmers (if it were family farms we would mind a lot less).

I don't have a problem with business, but it should not be subsidized. Market economy.
Minnesail likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #9 of 13 Old 02-07-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
No, agri-business.

The common misconception is that these are family farmers (if it were family farms we would mind a lot less).

I don't have a problem with business, but it should not be subsidized. Market economy.
I know a few family farms here in Missouri, who have applied for the support payments. I know a few corn farmers who sell only to our ethanol plant here. They don't even grow food anymore.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-07-2020

Big agri-business is funding generic farm lobbying, of which ethanol is only one example. International trade agreements too. All players benefit or get hurt.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in