Replacement Gas Spouts - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Replacement Gas Spouts

Since I didn't use much fuel motoring from the slip to the bay where I could raise the sails I never used much diesel in a season and refilled from a fuel can; and I was always cursing the new "improved" spouts.

Someone sent me this link today where you can get the old style spouts for your fuel cans. Great idea !

https://gasspouts.com/

No affiliation with them, just something to make life a little easier.
Minnewaska likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Replacement Gas Spouts

Love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago
Lake Sailor

Been around for a long time. Order a set from Amazon last year. Works great, fits perfect.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago

For 5-gallon cans into the main tank, a shaker siphon is the better answer; you don't have to hold the can!

For smaller cans, I really like the Sure Can. So easy and very accurate. But not cheap.
flyrod likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #5 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago

I agree completely that a shaker siphon is the way to go to transfer fuel to the main tank. The Sure Can looks interesting, but a connection at the bottom of the container makes me nervous. I'm sure they've tested it, but over how long in marine conditions.

I keep two spare fuel containers, both are one gallon size.

The first I use to keep a half gallon or less of diesel fuel to change filters as necessary. It lives in a compartment with enough room to accommodate a permanent top spout and thumb lever. I don't know the brand, but it's on the only one I've ever had that has not broken. However, since the spout can not be removed and reinstalled inside the can, it awkwardly takes up space.

The second is a backup gasoline tank that is stored in the dinghy bow locker. It must have internal spout storage to fit. All those mechanisms have been destroyed, even the latest, and this thread reminds me I need to buy another for next season. It literally jammed and broke, when I was emptying it for the winter. It requires twisting a collar to unlock, then pushing a notch on the spout against the lip of the receiving vessel, until a valve opens. The twist lock broke and caused the whole contraption to leak. Again. The pressure needed to open the valve is so great that it threatens knocking over the receiving vessel.

This new law was stupid. I've never spilled as much gasoline as I have with these new containers.
SanderO and pdqaltair like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago

I haven't been using much fuel and the tank is not very large. But the fuel docks are a plenty where we stop as often as need to top off water. hose off the salt and add diesel and replenish gas for the OB. I see no reason to use these inconvenient 5 gallon jerry cans. I do take several when I do a passage offshore. Where I am sailing these days... LIS- southern NE... getting topped up is a non issue.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 15 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...The Sure Can looks interesting, but a connection at the bottom of the container makes me nervous. I'm sure they've tested it, but over how long in marine conditions....
Good question. I've had mine for one year.

So far, I've always had the luxury of storing 1- to 2-gallon dinghy cans in a self-draining locker. I would only use this design for filling very small tanks, so I wouldn't want a larger size. That's what shaker siphons are for! If it wasn't for shaker siphons, I would have thrown all of my CARB cans away. I've horded old-style cans for lawn mower and small outboard use. They work.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #8 of 15 Old 5 Days Ago
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Good question. I've had mine for one year.

So far, I've always had the luxury of storing 1- to 2-gallon dinghy cans in a self-draining locker. I would only use this design for filling very small tanks, so I wouldn't want a larger size. That's what shaker siphons are for! If it wasn't for shaker siphons, I would have thrown all of my CARB cans away. I've horded old-style cans for lawn mower and small outboard use. They work.
Old school chunk of hose and breath deep. What could possibly go wrong?
post #9 of 15 Old 4 Days Ago

Problem with replacement gas spouts is installing the vents. Most all gasoline and diesel cans are produced with a seam all the way around the can and the handle. Drilling a hole in the handle to install the vent frequently breaks the integrity of the seam which in turn leads to a leaky can. Bad enough with diesel but down right dangerous with gasoline which is what most of us would use the can for. Namely the dink.
post #10 of 15 Old 4 Days Ago

Why not drill the hole to the side of the seam?

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in