Pump repair - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 02-16-2020

Re: Pump repair

All good advice above. Personally, I’d start by trying to fill, redrill and tap. If that didn’t work, you can always over drill for one of the heli or time sert inserts.

I think I’m missing something tho. Jabsco still makes diaphragm bilge pumps. Is there something particularly unique here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 02-16-2020

Large capacity bilge dewatering idea:

Does it make sense to consider several smaller capacity pumps? The can be located in different areas and likely one would do work unless there is a lot of dewatering to do. They can be plumbed with Ys to the discharge thru hull. One advantage is perhaps this would use fewer amps, be quieter and if one pump fails you still have the others working at dewatering.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #13 of 35 Old 02-16-2020 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
It would annoy me to run around with a vital pump for which I could not get parts or replacements.
Yes, exactly, which is why I posted this. Thanks for the link. I do buy spares for this pump whenever they become available online. I will fix this problem, but was hoping for some input so I would have less experimenting to do.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #14 of 35 Old 02-16-2020 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Large capacity bilge dewatering idea:

Does it make sense to consider several smaller capacity pumps? The can be located in different areas and likely one would do work unless there is a lot of dewatering to do. They can be plumbed with Ys to the discharge thru hull. One advantage is perhaps this would use fewer amps, be quieter and if one pump fails you still have the others working at dewatering.
I have one 6' deep bilge almost completely unreachable except by a pick up hose for this pump and the 2.5" manual's hose. No way I can see to use a centrifugal.
I have considered several smaller of the Par diaphragm pumps but unless this one fails completely, I'd rather not go through doubling or tripling the exhaust hoses which currently run from the pump out the transom (around 36 feet), adding a thruhull or two and the extra wiring.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #15 of 35 Old 02-16-2020 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think I’m missing something tho. Jabsco still makes diaphragm bilge pumps. Is there something particularly unique here?
As above, this pump is out of production.

post #16 of 35 Old 02-16-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have one 6' deep bilge almost completely unreachable except by a pick up hose for this pump and the 2.5" manual's hose. No way I can see to use a centrifugal.
I have considered several smaller of the Par diaphragm pumps but unless this one fails completely, I'd rather not go through doubling or tripling the exhaust hoses which currently run from the pump out the transom (around 36 feet), adding a thruhull or two and the extra wiring.
What about using a 110v sump pump with a float switch?

I got one to use as a portable dink de watering pump because there a often times when I return to the boat after an absence and the dink is full of water... 8" deep! That's a lot. I plug the pump chord into shore power of my inverter... and it empties the dink lickity split. If it's really deep I hold the pump so it isn't completely submerged. It's a great portable dewatering pump...

these are like 55 GPM

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zoeller-0-5...ump/1000675889

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-0...ump/1000675931

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #17 of 35 Old 02-16-2020 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
What about using a 110v sump pump with a float switch?

I got one to use as a portable dink de watering pump because there a often times when I return to the boat after an absence and the dink is full of water... 8" deep! That's a lot. I plug the pump chord into shore power of my inverter... and it empties the dink lickity split. If it's really deep I hold the pump so it isn't completely submerged. It's a great portable dewatering pump...

these are like 55 GPM

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zoeller-0-5...ump/1000675889

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-0...ump/1000675931
We carry 3, 110vac 1/2 hp, 1 1/4" discharge submersible pumps for emergencies (good for anchor/deck washing as well). They cannot get down into the deep bilge. If needed they would be placed on the lowest floor to maintain the water at that level until the emergency had passed, then either the 12 volt or manual pump would remove the rest of the water.

post #18 of 35 Old 02-16-2020

Hey Capta ! Check with Captn Jim's up in Portland, Me. He has tonnes of equipment ! You would have to be persistent as he waits for customer to push a little ! 207-838-9902 ! No affiliation, just been there, seen all the equipment/parts etc he has ! He just came back from Mexico with a huge load !
capta likes this.
post #19 of 35 Old 02-16-2020 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
Hey Capta ! Check with Captn Jim's up in Portland, Me. He has tonnes of equipment ! You would have to be persistent as he waits for customer to push a little ! 207-838-9902 ! No affiliation, just been there, seen all the equipment/parts etc he has ! He just came back from Mexico with a huge load !
Thanks. Sent an mail.

Last edited by capta; 02-16-2020 at 02:05 PM.
post #20 of 35 Old 02-16-2020

Have you checked out GROCOs Paragon Junior? It may work for you...

Shawn

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in