Creative wine storage ideas - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-07-2020 Thread Starter

Creative wine storage ideas

Our boat has a nice little compartment in the salon table that holds several bottles of wine which is very handy, however when we are on vacation 3 bottles does not last very long, and since my wife drinks white and I drink red, we need twice as many bottles.

We have gone with the "Chateau du Boite" (boxed wine) but even if I do find a decent boxed wine, I get tired of drinking the same wine all the time. I am no connoisseur, but I like a variety and I like decent wines.

I am in the process of figuring out how to store multiple bottles of wine safely while also taking advantage of some of the less useful nooks and crannies on the boat. Currently I wrap extra bottles in old towels and tuck them in a void behind the salon seat back. I would like to come up with some kind of rack that will maximize that space and hold the bottles securely and protect them from rattling. I envision some kind of stacked tube arrangement, perhaps lined with foam?

I am wondering if anyone else has come up with innovative solutions to this very first-world problem!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-07-2020

Dock
Re: Creative wine storage ideas

I picked up 22 half cases of wine (132 bottles) in France last time I was there.
I just store them in their cardboard boxes in the unused aft cabin.

There is a leakage issue... I drank a bottle last night and this morning found an empty bottle.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 24 Old 03-07-2020
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I picked up 22 half cases of wine (132 bottles) in France last time I was there.
I just store them in their cardboard boxes in the unused aft cabin.

There is a leakage issue... I drank a bottle last night and this morning found an empty bottle. Mark
Like I implied before, do you think they will let you back into OZ since you've switched from beer to wine?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 24 Old 03-07-2020
dadio917

we could store bottles under the bottom drawers in the galley, v-berth and aft berth.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #5 of 24 Old 03-07-2020
Master Mariner

We keep a pretty good supply of wine aboard as a charter boat and like Mark, we keep it in the case with the separators, in a spare cabin.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #6 of 24 Old 03-07-2020
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
...We have gone with the "Chateau du Boite" (boxed wine) but even if I do find a decent boxed wine, I get tired of drinking the same wine all the time. I am no connoisseur, but I like a variety and I like decent wines.... I am wondering if anyone else has come up with innovative solutions to this very first-world problem!
It's a critical problem indeed! My solution is LOTS of boxes.

I know that's not very helpful, but it's true.

We do carry a few bottles, mostly for socializing over at other boats. Like others have said, we keep them in their box, using the cardboard separators. I don't think we've ever broken one, although we do seem to have Mark's leakage problem .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #7 of 24 Old 03-07-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Bottles in old socks under the V. No rattles and no broken bottles. We pack them close together so they don’t move. We have also used these rubberized cabinet liners cut to surround the bottles ( 2 rubber bands hold in place)

Cardboard brings bugs onto the boats like cockroaches, plus it get wet or damp. Also an inefficient use of space.

We only drink reds....never would even think of the boxed wine swill. But we are snobs. It’s not about the price as plenty of $15 a bottle excellent 90s rated wines available. We always keep a mixed case on board.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 24 Old 03-07-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
since my wife drinks white and I drink red, we need twice as many bottles.
Hmmm, there is some interesting maths going on there...

Mark
MarkofSeaLife and capta like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 24 Old 03-07-2020

No space in the bilges? We tucked about four cases of rum into the bilge on a return trip from Bermuda one time. Two broke, but at $2.00/bottle, not a problem, and the bilge smelled OK for a good while.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-07-2020
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
No space in the bilges? We tucked about four cases of rum into the bilge on a return trip from Bermuda one time. Two broke, but at $2.00/bottle, not a problem, and the bilge smelled OK for a good while.
Party time for the rats and roaches after everyone was asleep, I'd bet. lol

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in