Barient 17 Disassembly - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-04-2020 Thread Starter

Barient 17 Disassembly

Dudes,

I have a Barient 17, single speed self-tailing winch that's running rough. I found the exploded view and instructions for it but as usual . . . they are wrong. The diagram clearly shows screws holding the column to the base but they are simply not there. Can anybody help a brothah out? I can find no pins, screws circlips, e-clips, e-rings or set screws. At absolutely best, this is an irresponsible design. Jess sayin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-04-2020

Re: Barient 17 Disassembly

the nut on top should have to holes for a special pin wrench
https://l-36.com/winches_pages.php?winch=mod17.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Barient-17-Deck-Sailboat-Winch.jpg  

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 04-04-2020 at 03:45 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-04-2020 Thread Starter

Way past that part. I mean internally. Note at the base of the column, there are no screws holding the base on. There is definitely a seam there, but no mechanical fastening.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3282.JPG  

post #4 of 14 Old 04-04-2020

I had an old pair of Barients long ago, and I couldn't figure out how to disassemble that part, so I set it in a container with a solvent overnight, then brushed it to get it clean, then lubricated it.

One of mine worked well, but one still growled, and I had difficulty finding parts, so I replaced them with a new pair of Lewmars that I found on sale at a good price. It hurt to spend that much, but it made the boat a pleasure to sail.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-04-2020

Where are the needle bearing collars that ride on the column? Are they still in the Hub? If so they could just be stuck because of old dirty grease. Sometimes folks put too much grease on these bearings and they will stick. Have you looked at the Youtube video of "How to Service Primary Winches (Barient 28) I know that the 28's are 2 speed but the process should be much the same.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-04-2020 Thread Starter

Those are already removed. The thing is that if there is no way to fastened these parts together, the winch is unsafe, it's not attached to the boat. So that leads me to believe they are secured together somehow . . . but how?????
post #7 of 14 Old 04-04-2020

Not sure exactly what you mean but it sounds like you're saying the caphead screws that hold the column to the base are missing?
The base of your column has holes for the screws, is this what you're talking about? When I get to my office computer I'll post the Diagram that I found for the Barient 17 to see if it matches. Barient winches are not poorly designed, for the most part if taken care of and serviced the're pretty bullet proof.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-05-2020 Thread Starter

Take a look at the base of the post. There are no screws, screw heads or holes for screws, other than those used to bolt the assembly to the cabin. The bronze halves act like they’re fused but if they were, there would be no way of ever replacing the inner pawls. The Barient exploded view I have clearly shows four screws holding the post to the base
Attached Thumbnails
B774D3E3-7DA0-44E6-8321-34F8C9C3C908_1586094146103.jpeg  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-05-2020

That piece is cast. I'ts one piece. It's not supposed to come apart. Look closely at the diagram. Is this not what your winch looks like?
Attached Thumbnails
Barient17.PNG  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-05-2020

Did you take the entire base off the boat? If that's the case then yes you have to separate the base from the column base. What happens is that you have corrosion between the two parts that essentially welds them together. The video that I referenced goes into how to deal with that. If the base and column base are fused, the base would be solid if you turn the column upside down. You have to get that bottom piece on the diagram free from the column. I suggest you do what sailorman suggested and soak the thing in solvent for a few days then try heating and cooling along with some serious elbow grease to see if you can get it free.
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in