SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pelican VLS Halyard

838 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  roverhi 
#1 ·
Anybody using Pelican VLS for a halyard? I've found a sale on halyard assemblies using it but the only elongation spec I can find for VLS is 15-20% at breaking strength. HMmmm. How about at 10% design load, or maybe 20%. That way I could compare to Staset or XLS.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Have no experience with this rope but looks like an attempt to get low stretch Dacron without the stiff hand of StaSet X. 100% Dacron ropes are not low stretch just a little lower stretch than other Dacron lines. Will work as a halyard but will require frequent attention if you are anal about maintaining proper halyard tension. If you want low stretch go with a line with some Dyneema/Spectra in the core like NE VPC if you don't want to go whole hog and $ with V100 or equivalent.

#3 ·
Not anal at all. I plan on using something in the stretch range of Staset which boasts 1.5% at 10% load. So, at 500 lbs it will stretch 18" over 80'. I can live with that. But some "low stretch" ropes are at 3 to 6%. That is not acceptable at all. If Pelican can get close, a new 3/8" halyard will be about $80 with the discount. If not, well, there are other options, usually to the tune of $1.20/foot plus eye splice & shackle.

#4 · (Edited)
Don't put a shackle on. Tie the halyard on with a buntline hitch or Bowline. I double loop the halyard through the head cringle then tie the knot. Tieing on halyards and sheets allows you to move wear points by trimming a few inches off the line and also to end for end it to even out UV damage. Got rid of shackles more than 40 years ago, sailed to SoPac, Transpac and all the sailing in between tieing on the halyards with no problems. The only exception I could possibly see is the spinnaker guys and halyard which could have a need to instantly detach a line. Still tie on lines to spinnaker but could see a reason to have shackles on those lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.