Woodgrain vinyl for cabine sole? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-02-2007 Thread Starter

Woodgrain vinyl for cabine sole?

My 1970 Ranger 33 has a simulated woodgrain vinyl covering the sole. It is now really ratty. I don't immediately find anything like it (it is fairly thin and fabric-backed).

If I can't find that, I'm going to look for a simple grey or tan vinyl product that I could use. I wonder if there is anything like that which would have some non-skid properties? Any pointers appreciated.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by geste
My 1970 Ranger 33 has a simulated woodgrain vinyl covering the sole. It is now really ratty. I don't immediately find anything like it (it is fairly thin and fabric-backed).

If I can't find that, I'm going to look for a simple grey or tan vinyl product that I could use. I wonder if there is anything like that which would have some non-skid properties? Any pointers appreciated.

Jim
Do you mean sole, as in the floor? Or as in headliner?....

RB
post #3 of 21 Old 07-03-2007
Wish I never found SN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz
Do you mean sole, as in the floor? Or as in headliner?....

RB
Rick,

Why would he want non skid on the headliner. maybe he sails in Australia.

Simon

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Mediterranean
DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcoholic

post #4 of 21 Old 07-03-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
Rick,

Why would he want non skid on the headliner. maybe he sails in Australia.
LOL...

Why would you want something like a vinyl covered wood grain fabric for a cabin sole. UGH... if it gets wet, it will take forever to dry, can hold and harbor mold, mildew, etc... why not replace it with a plywood or holly & teak veener sole.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-03-2007
moderate?

We liked this stuff on a pevious boat
Knorr Systems Inc. : Locker Room > Dri-Dek Flooring :
post #6 of 21 Old 07-03-2007
Telstar 28

Cam-

That would go over whatever material you have as your cabin sole... and it is good stuff...but not too pretty to look at. However, the OP is talking about having a cabin sole made of fabric-backed wood-grain patterned vinyl. UGH.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

post #7 of 21 Old 07-03-2007

Sorry guys, but when I hear vinyl and sole in the same sentence, my background in construction makes me immediately think of Armstrong floor covering for a kithchen. Circa 1974. Or worse. Ugh........

The Dri-Dek samples below I use in my lockers and chemical storage drawers, as well as the tool boxes both onboard the boat and in the truck. Very tough stuff, though I think I'd refrain from putting that in my salon...........
post #8 of 21 Old 07-03-2007 Thread Starter

Vinyl...DriDeck

Thanks the many replies.

I use DriDeck under the foam mattress in my V-Berth (to create an airspace since water tank is just below and can have a condensation problem.)

The cabin sole is a familiar curved - very curvey - fiberglass pan and it has a molded indentation in which this sheet of vinyl sits.

In defense of this vinyl, I'll say that it has been there since 1970 and has held up until recently -- me spilling various things on it probably didn't help. If I found the same material today I would hurry to reapply it, as it would likely survive until I am dead and buried. It is walnutty in appearance with fake joints. It wasn't too slippy and it didn't get moldy -- just frayed.

Now I might have to resort to redoing the sole with some sort of real wood, but I have one very specific concern. I may liveaboard again in near future (I did so the first 4 year I owned) and I can say that I am 6'1" and there is precisely 6'1" headroom down the centerline of the R33. If I, with great difficulty and greater expense, lay down a one-quarter-inch layer of wood, the balance of the universe could be upset. The earth could spin off its axis and you would all be killed.

So, rather than have all of you go spin into the sun and die a horrible death, I'm looking at more vinyl - or something not more than 1/8" thick!

Jim
post #9 of 21 Old 07-03-2007

If memory serves me well, you should start to shrink, height-wise, after you turn 60. Just wait it out and then go with wood..........
post #10 of 21 Old 07-03-2007
Telstar 28

Or you need to learn to slouch when you stand up...

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in