SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Propane line re-route Oday30

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
Last Year when I bought my boat the propane "locker" was on top the cabin top. Ugly for sure. but.. yes you guessed it! The gas line was routed through the bottom to the ceiling of the head then down and back to the stove. That was bad enough but the "drain" of the Locker was open to inside the boat! Well, we removed that last yr when we got the boat back to the yacht club here in Bristol pa where I live.

Today we started the Re-route of the line and have it back to the starboard aft side and into a small lazerette. I plan to hang the tank behind the stern rail. It will only be there for cooking and in the anchor locker when under way. The sniffer controls have to be rewired next.

While under and behind the cockpit I saw that there is a huge amount of space from the transom to the back of the cockpit. I would need vertical access hatchs/doors to make it usable. One could easily be a propane locker but of course that would have to be custom made this winter. I think it would be very nice to have use of all that space. Newer boats like the Oday 322 have top access to that area. I like the Force 10 stove too much to even consider alchol!

I was Just a wondering if anyone has done a project similar to this one. space is such a premium on older boats!

no go boom :eek: !

Denise

See less See more
#3 ·
Denise-

The idiot who setup that propane locker should be shot, then keel hauled.

Cutting an opening and installing a hatch for the area shouldn't be all that difficult to do.

I am planning on installing a larger propane locker on my boat, to hold two 10 lb. composite propane tanks. I will be using much the same techniques I used to build the bridge deck on my boat earlier this year.

If you have questions or need advice, feel free to PM me.

Does the anchor locker vent overboard—I am guessing that it does via drains that go overboard, rather than into the bilge. Also, is the anchor locker air-tight to the main hull??

#4 ·
anchor locker is not in anyway able to vent into the boat it does have a drain in the bow. Those composite tanks scare me! Steel tanks were always the standard in contracting (torches and stuff) I like aluminum though. Don't think weight is a prob. Building custom made boxes is the only option due to the curves of the cockpit aft wall. I will be a good winter project.
thanks guys!

#5 ·
The Composite tanks are probably much better for a boat, since the tank walls won't rust or corrode at all.

#6 ·
propane locker

Hello,

Why not just install a prebuilt propane locker in the space you have available?

There are a number of companies that make them. Here is one:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=86255F

They are set up to be properly vented, ABYC compliant, etc.

The PO of my boat (O'day 35) set it up like that. Open the port lazarette and against the forward bulkhead is a nice propane locker big enough for 2 10lb bottles. The solenoid is there, as well as a drain. He even ran a line aft so I can connect a grill.

Good luck,
Barry

#7 ·
he Barry that is a great price for Propane locker too! Most are over $500! My O30 Laz Has a water heater sitting where your propane is. But I may just put one towards the transom when more $ comes available.
thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.