SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

gelcoat pits

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sailaway21 
#1 ·
I have a 30 year boat that is badly oxidized and the gelcoat is quite thin in places and really ought to be painted however time didnt allow for that. I wet sanded the hull and used 3m restorer and wax on it and had decent results. My gelcoat is a dark color and there are areas where I can see microscopic yellowish pits. The entire transom is like this as well as other areas which I think are most prone to reflection off the water where the hull curves before it goes vertical.. I was told that this is a sign of moisture in the fibreglass which apperently can lead to delamination. I thought it was just heavier areas of oxidation. I am hoping for some opinions and guidance that may help me decide what I should do about it, or how to confirm the problem either way.

Thanks in advance:confused:

#2 ·
You're probably seeing either deeper pits with oxidation in them, or old wax, or possibly the fiberglas under the gelcoat. It's not bubbling up ,blistering, so it's holding-hit it with a Poliglo treatment and go sailing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.