"Marine" GFCI Outlet? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 83 Old 03-02-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
... and yes I AM certifiable! - Just ask my wife.
No need...I've met you... and it was self evident...

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 83 Old 03-02-2011

I'm helpless according to my wife......or was it hopeless....

anyway, nice to know the modified sine inverter "could" be the issue for the one a page or two back blowing the gfci's. I was wondering if the spike, low pike low...... of the inverter might cause an issue.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #53 of 83 Old 03-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I'm working on a netbook-based chartplotter system for fair-weather use at the helm (described on another thread), but unfortunately the netbook runs off of 18-19v, so a simple 12v adapter will not work. Since you seem knowledgeable, maybe you can answer a lingering question about this. I have a real nice Compaq car adapter that puts out 90w @ 19v and is plug compatible with the Netbook, but the Netbook actually only needs about 19w to run. Do you happen to know whether a less oversized charger would be more efficient, or do these adapters draw only as much power as needed to drive the computer? I'd like to know whether to just go with what I have, or look for a lower amperage adapter that puts out 18-19 volts.
I like to think I'm knowledgeable, since I have a degree in electrical and computer engineering As others have said, if the netbook only draws 19W, it won't use the full 90W the adapter is capable of sourcing. But, the efficiency is not constant, it's a curve that varies with load. On most switching regulators, which this adapter almost certainly is (and inverters are a type of switching regulator, so it applies to them too), they are very inefficient at near 0 draw and near their maximum draw, with peak efficiency somewhere in the middle. Peak efficiency on a switching regulator can be 90% or perhaps even better. For your purposes, I'd say just go with the adapter you have, getting another one isn't going to save you much power.

1979 Gulfstar 37 Laissez Faire

post #54 of 83 Old 04-09-2011

I know this thread is a bit stale but I came across the list of Xantrex approved GFCI's.

From the Xantrex XM1800 manual:
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #55 of 83 Old 04-09-2011
Learning the HARD way...

BOTH Leviton models above are obsolete and have been discontinued.

The Hubbell GFR5252 is still available for ~$25
post #56 of 83 Old 04-09-2011

Good to know.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #57 of 83 Old 03-20-2012

Re: "Marine" GFCI Outlet?

It is my understanding that there is a big difference. Household GFCI's are not ignition protected meaning it were to trip it could cause a spark.
post #58 of 83 Old 03-20-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Leviton: Cheapest possible product, zero customer support. On my list of vendors to be avoided at all costs.
post #59 of 83 Old 12-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
During the survey, our surveyor noted Abracadabra's AC outlets in the galley and on one of the bulkheads separating the main cabin from the head had no GFCI protection. Naturally, he recommended adding GFCI protection, and advised that we needed a marine GFCI outlet, not just the average GFCI outlet you'd pick up at Home Depot, or whatever.

So how do you identify these and where do you get them? Saw a GFCI outlet at WM, but the labeling was scant (looked like perhaps it'd been re-packaged?) and said nothing about "marine" on it. (It certainly had a "marine" price on it, tho .)

These outlets are the "modern"-looking, rectangular kind.

Thanks,
Jim
We have a 1982 Tollycraft Yacht and cannot locate the GFCI, where would it be located? Thank you. Bob
post #60 of 83 Old 12-22-2015

1982 Tollycraft Yacht and cannot locate the GFCI, where would it be located? Thank you. Bob

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in