SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hatches

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Can someone give me some advice on hatches, building verus buying. I'd like to replace the V-berth hatch and the cabin hatch on the Citation. I've been looking for some pics of others handy work but haven't had much luck as of yet. Any pics are welcome and thanks in advance for the help!

gg30Citation

#2 ·
If you're good with fiberglass work, building a hatch isn't all that difficult. Building a hatch gives you a lot more options than buying a stock hatch in terms of shape, size, the way it opens, materials used, etc.

Buying a hatch is a bit simpler, but you are much more limited in where you can mount the hatch, and what shapes and sizes are available. They're also pretty pricey. :D

Personally, if it is an older boat, I would build the hatch rather than buy one. It is more in keeping with the character of an older boat, and if properly done, will look better IMHO.

#3 ·
Buying hatches.... can you say E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E?

If a fabricated hatch will look good, and fit the style of boat, and you feel confident that's probably the way to go.

Molding/laying up a glass one is one option, a wood frame hatch is another way to go.

Given the unlikelihood that a purchased hatch is going to be a direct bolt-on replacement, there's another reason to try it yourself. There could be considerable work involved in fairing/molding a new base etc. even with a purchased hatch.

#4 ·
I'd love to see a step by step photo essay of a project like this. There are so many ways to go with it.

#5 ·
I replaced two traditional hatches with Ocean Lewmars. A few thoughts on both sides of the question (or answer as it may be):
1) It upset a lot of people because the new hatches aren't traditional
2) It was a lot of work to build new bases so they would fit. It's very important the the camber of the deck is dealt with in the base and the hatch sits on a flat surface. Faster's post above is dead right about the work required.
3) It was expensive
4) They haven't leaked at all or required anything more than cleaning (10yrs)
5) The new hatches are lower profile, the old hatches loved to grab sheets on a tack
6) The new hatches let in a large amount of light, there was a dead light in the old V-berth hatch but there's no comparison

#6 ·
Theres talk on the CSOA site of using auto glass instead of the polycarbonate. Any thoughts? While its safe, I wonder if it could take the same amount of stress before breaking. And when it does break, will it stay together like the poly, or end up in the cabin like on your car.

#7 ·
If you can find laminated tempered glass, then that would be an ideal material, since it is very strong and not prone to turning into nasty razor-edged pieces if it does break. Automotive side windows and rear windshield, at least in the USA, are tempered glass, which is quite tough, but will shatter into a million little fragments if hit with a hard enough with a hard object like a snap shackle. The front windshield, at least in the USA, is not tempered glass, but is laminated. This means that it doesn't come apart, but does break into nasty razor-edged sections.

Personally, I like Polycarbonate better, even though it is more prone to scratching, chemical and uv attack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.