blister repair -- advice needed - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-25-2008 Thread Starter
Arf!

blister repair -- advice needed

The hull of my 1980 Pearson 32 was bead blasted today. Once the accumulation of years of bottom paint was removed it became apparent that I have hundreds of small holes to deal with. I presume these started out as osmosis (blisters) and they popped.

I plan to wait as long as possible before repairing them to allow any trapped moisture to escape -- probably 2 months. Ultimately I will apply a proper barrier coat.

But how do I deal with these craters? Do they need to be ground out before filling? What kind of product is recommended for filling the holes?

Thanks for any advice.

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-25-2008
moderate?

This will give you all the info you will need.
http://www.zimmermanmarine.com/docs/blisters%201.pdf

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-25-2008
stm

Also check out Zahnheisers marina web sight(spelling) in Solomans Isle, Maryland. They have an extensive explaination of blisters and repair.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-25-2008 Thread Starter
Arf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm View Post
Also check out Zahnheisers marina web sight(spelling) in Solomans Isle, Maryland. They have an extensive explaination of blisters and repair.

Zahniser's site is enough to make your blood run cold. The only repair they are willing to discuss involves a peel, relaminating, and a barrier coat. Cost: about $20K for my $20K
boat. There has to be a more moderate approach.

Fluctuat nec mergitur
post #5 of 13 Old 01-25-2008
blue collar cruiser

Pegasus~ are you sure they are blisters that popped? If you have craters after a blasting they may have been air pockets from the resin not fully penetrating the cloth in the original lay-up. I've seen this on my friend's boat. They were everywhere, dry as a bone. Originally they were bubbles between the cloth laminate and the inside of the gelcoat, very blister looking. The blasting might have blown off the gelcoat side of the bubble, leaving you with the craters. If this is the case you don't have to wait for your hull to dry, you can move right in and get to work.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
post #6 of 13 Old 01-25-2008

Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Unless you have a heated area to work in, I wait till mid March to work with the epoxy.

S/V Scheherazade
-----------------------
I had a dream, I was sailing, I was happy, I was even smiling. Then I looked down and saw that I was on a multi-hull and woke up suddenly in a cold sweat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-25-2008 Thread Starter
Arf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
Pegasus~ are you sure they are blisters that popped? If you have craters after a blasting they may have been air pockets from the resin not fully penetrating the cloth in the original lay-up. I've seen this on my friend's boat. They were everywhere, dry as a bone. Originally they were bubbles between the cloth laminate and the inside of the gelcoat, very blister looking. The blasting might have blown off the gelcoat side of the bubble, leaving you with the craters. If this is the case you don't have to wait for your hull to dry, you can move right in and get to work.
After my initial panic, I began to wonder the same thing. I had my previous boat bead blasted about 9 yrs ago, and there were no such blowouts.

But I am inclined to agree with your diagnosis, especially since the surveyor went over the hull below waterline with a mallet and a moisture meter, and I would be surprised if he missed such widespread water intrusion.

So maybe the difference between the previous job and this one was the technique used in laying up the hull (different manufacturers) or the guys who did the blasting were more aggressive this time. I recall that last time after the blasting job I had a whole day's sanding to remove the remaining islands of bottom paint - all small, pimple-sized. This time the only bottom paint remaining is under the jackstands.

If the craters are not blister-related, then the repair consists of one afternoon with a spatula and epoxy filler...

Fluctuat nec mergitur
post #8 of 13 Old 01-26-2008
Telstar 28

They sound more like small gelcoat voids, rather than osmotic blistering. IF they were osmotic blistering, you'd have them weeping a rather nasty acidic mixture. If they're dry on the inside, and it sounds like they are, they're layup voids.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-26-2008
moderate?

Move the jackstands a bit and by hand get down to the gel coat and see if there are indeed blisters...and if they weep when you poke them. If not...fill 'em & barrier coat and go on your merry way!

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #10 of 13 Old 01-26-2008
Telstar 28

Wear eye protection when doing this, because if they're osmotic blisters, you don't want to get the liquid in them in your eyes... and if you're poking at the blisters and break a new osmotic one open, the liquid is generally under some pressure and will spray quite a distance.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in