Engine Overheating - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 03-03-2008 Thread Starter
Montgomery 17

Engine Overheating

Went down to the boat this weekend and had a great sail Friday and Saturday. Both days I motored in and out of my slip with no over heating alarm coming on.

Sunday morning before going out again, I decided to clean the in line filter for the raw water pump (I believe that is the name for it). So I took it out and cleaned it like have done before and stuck it back in. Started motoring out and after a few minutes the warning light and buzzer came on for high temperature. I killed the engin, raised the sails, and then rechecked my work. Ah-ha forgot to open the seacock after I was done. So I figured I solved my problem.

We sailed all day long and then when it was time to come in I fired her up and after a few minuties the alarm come back on. I quickly shut it off and raised sails and sailed around for a bit, letting the engine cool. Again I check my work; opened and closed seacock a couple times, and took the filter out again and cleaned it and put it back in. Then sailed most of way to my slip and cranked the engine at the last moment and slipped her fast enough for the buzzer not to sound.

I left the boat quickly without looking at it and now I wonder what it was that went wrong? Anyone?

The engine is a 16h Yanmar

Small is beautiful, simple, cheap, and easy......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-03-2008
Telstar 28

When was the last time you checked the impeller. If it has been a while, chances are good that the impeller may have thrown a blade or two.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 42 Old 03-03-2008

Air pocket/ or air lock in the raw water line.
Check the impeller - replace if bad. I'll bet it's dry. Use what ever you have to and pour water into the line/pump until it comes out at the strainer.

post #4 of 42 Old 03-03-2008

You may have an "air pocket", has happened to me before, or so I think thats what it was.

If its persist, it could be your heat exchanger. You can start by cleaning it out by removing the end of it. If no success, run a chemical treatment through it...I used Barnacle Buster with great success. If that doesn't work you may need to remove the exchanger and send it to a radiator shop for a cleaning.

TRAC Ecological Marine Products

Shawn

Last edited by T37Chef; 01-05-2009 at 09:57 PM.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-03-2008

chuckles, you beat me to it

Shawn

post #6 of 42 Old 03-03-2008 Thread Starter
Montgomery 17

Yeah, I was thinking I should replace the impeller and might so this next weekend. I am a new owner and I dont know if the PO knew much about it so it sounds like something I want to do.

How much is an empeller? How tough is the job?

If there is an air lock of air pocket in the line, how do I go about fixing that?

post #7 of 42 Old 03-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
chuckles, you beat me to it
I've been taking robo typing lessons from SailDog.
post #8 of 42 Old 03-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead View Post
Yeah, I was thinking I should replace the impeller and might so this next weekend. I am a new owner and I dont know if the PO knew much about it so it sounds like something I want to do.

How much is an empeller? How tough is the job?

If there is an air lock of air pocket in the line, how do I go about fixing that?
Pour or suck water up the line using what ever works best - get water to the impeller before you close the system by putting the cover on.
Edit -
Added how to:

Look for a manual for your boats engine, it should detail the procedure. New impeller should run less than 30 bucks, take about a hour.
If there is no manual - look for the water pump - follow the hoses to the roundish housing that has a engine drive belt and a pulley wheel. It should have screws holding it on. Remove screws - but not unless you have a replacement impeller and gasket. Pull out the old impeller using a hooked wire, needle nose pliers and certain swedish curse words. Wet the new one, put it in. It's a pain, but it will fit.
Put on gasket, put suck water (a clear hose and a lot of lung) until water comes into the housing.
Put on cover.
Drink Beer, or Rum, feel proud. Go sailing.

p.s. if you are real lucky, these guys make one for your engine : Sailboat Parts Search for speedseal in the Torresen Marine, Inc. Online Sailing Ships Store

10 minute impeller changes I have one on my Westerbeake 30b

Last edited by chucklesR; 03-03-2008 at 06:32 PM.
post #9 of 42 Old 03-03-2008

Most impeller pumps should not be allowed to run dry. It may be that you let it run dry long enough to damage the impeller. Also check if the filter sucks false air after the cleaning.

Use your head, ram the wall till it falls.
post #10 of 42 Old 03-03-2008 Thread Starter
Montgomery 17

"Most impeller pumps should not be allowed to run dry."

Would running the engine with the seacock closed be considered running it dry?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in