SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Balmar?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
I want to add a new alternator and regulator. Im thinking of using Balmar. Anybody have a reason for or against the Balmar products?

#2 ·
I installed a Balmar alternator/regulator package in our previous boat and was very happy with it. I'll do it again when the standard alternator on our current boat bites the dust. Search the archives, lots of discussion on this topic including some other features you should consider (remote temp sensors, etc).

#4 ·
I'd have to agree with Halekai... your post is a bit light on details... Balmar makes a decent alternator, but YMMV.

#5 ·
I'd certainly go with one of their smart regulators again. I wouldn't buy one of their alternators though, unless my goose laid golden eggs. You can get comparable alternators directly from a generic alternator shop for about half the price, except it doesn't have that pretty white and blue paint. As an example, a bunch of the fellows on the C-34 website were getting 100 amp single pulley delco alternators for just over $100 when the Balmar alternators were going for twice that.

#6 ·
I used Balmar alternators and regulators on my last two boats because they are well built and easy to get fixed or replaced. They are high priced...but when a regulator went out on me...I simply exchanged it for a new one and was back in business in a half hour. I also like their manuals and trouble shooting guides which are great for diagnosing a problem on your own.

Another brand with an excellent reputation is Ample Power
Ample Power Alternators

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.