Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Red Bank, NJ
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 14
Halekai 36 et. al.
Repacked the stuffing box yesterday, and this is what I found:
First the inside diameter of the nut was in fact 1.5". Which meant that the 1/4 inch packing was the correct size. I checked this a half dozen times with 2 different calipers to be totally certain. An observation, here: Measuring the diameter of the inside of the nut is almost the same as measuring the outside of the male thread that the nut screws onto, No? Except for the depth/height of the actual threads. In my case it was easier to measure the Male threads, than it was to get a true perpendicular measurement from the nut.(Though I measured both to be certain.
When I removed the old packing the inner surface of the packing was discolored, I assume, from overheating which in turn, melted the wax, creating the globs I first saw. Though the shaft was shiny, It didn't feel scored. I had purchased both the 3/16" and the 1/4" GTU packing from WM, so I proceeded to do the removal/ reinstall.
With the Nut loose I was only getting 78 drips a minute, Is this unusual? Should it have been more?
I had already cut the 3 layers of new packing using H 36's method. 2 additional suggestions. To eliminate the unraveling of the GTU material, I wrapped the ends before cutting with 1" painters tape. I also added a layer of duct tape to the 1" dia tube I was using as a mandrill to save the edge of my razor.
This new packing went in much easier than the flax had. I threaded the nut back on without too much pressure, and brought up the locking nut. Motored around and counted about 28 drips /min. Back on the mooring I only got a couple of drips per with the engine off. I will check and adjust as needed.
As a first time boat owner/operator/maintainer, it is a real treat to have a resource like sailnet to refer to.