LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 05-13-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
H,
SD,
et al,
Thanks again. I will be changing to the GFO this weekend. If I have everything prepared ahead of time ie the rings cut and the ends waxed, and a decent removal tool, a decent installation tool, can I do this in the water? I mean once I back the nut off, are we talking fire hose water streams here? I read somewhere that someone did this and that his bilge pumps easily handled the water. Is this accurate?
BP
Yes you can. A tool I particularly like for this is called Thera-Band. PT's use it and it's stretchy rubber. It comes in different colors, which only denotes the resistance or strength. Simply ask a Physical Therapist to buy about two feet and when you remove the nut wrap it around the shaft and male end of then stuffing box then take a wrap with 3M electrical tape. If you can't find that a roll of wide rigging tape will do or even a cut open bike inner tube.. I don't advise stuffing wax in there as it may not all come out...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 05-13-2008 Thread Starter

H 36,
I can't thank you enough for your help. And your website is great, too.
As a footnote, I am a wood turner and I plan to turn that installation tool that you made from PVC pipe. 10 minute job. Turn, slice down the length, done.
I'll let you know after the weekend how it turned out.
BP
post #13 of 17 Old 05-13-2008

A fellow club-member told me the amount of water that comes in isn't all that great, and that re-packing the stuffing box in the water isn't all that big a deal. Nonetheless: I would probably find it distracting, at least.

The solution I read about for stopping the water was to put some silly putty or material of like consistency in Saran Wrap or something, and lightly stuff that around the shaft on the male end of the stuffing box.

Jim

post #14 of 17 Old 05-13-2008
Super Moderator

Here's how to measure the nut

Measure the ID of thread to thread of the stuffing nut with a set of calipers.

The nut on my old box measured 1.38 inches and I know my shaft is 1". Simply subtract 1" from 1.38" as in:

1.38 - 1 = .38 inches

Now divide this number (.38) by two as in : .38 divided by 2 = .19 inches.

3/16 of an inch in decimals is .1875!! So I know my packing is 3/16 not 1/4 because that would be .25"

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-13-2008 at 03:05 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-16-2008 Thread Starter

Halekai 36 et. al.
Repacked the stuffing box yesterday, and this is what I found:
First the inside diameter of the nut was in fact 1.5". Which meant that the 1/4 inch packing was the correct size. I checked this a half dozen times with 2 different calipers to be totally certain. An observation, here: Measuring the diameter of the inside of the nut is almost the same as measuring the outside of the male thread that the nut screws onto, No? Except for the depth/height of the actual threads. In my case it was easier to measure the Male threads, than it was to get a true perpendicular measurement from the nut.(Though I measured both to be certain.
When I removed the old packing the inner surface of the packing was discolored, I assume, from overheating which in turn, melted the wax, creating the globs I first saw. Though the shaft was shiny, It didn't feel scored. I had purchased both the 3/16" and the 1/4" GTU packing from WM, so I proceeded to do the removal/ reinstall.
With the Nut loose I was only getting 78 drips a minute, Is this unusual? Should it have been more?
I had already cut the 3 layers of new packing using H 36's method. 2 additional suggestions. To eliminate the unraveling of the GTU material, I wrapped the ends before cutting with 1" painters tape. I also added a layer of duct tape to the 1" dia tube I was using as a mandrill to save the edge of my razor.
This new packing went in much easier than the flax had. I threaded the nut back on without too much pressure, and brought up the locking nut. Motored around and counted about 28 drips /min. Back on the mooring I only got a couple of drips per with the engine off. I will check and adjust as needed.
As a first time boat owner/operator/maintainer, it is a real treat to have a resource like sailnet to refer to.
Many thanks,
BP
post #16 of 17 Old 05-16-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
An observation, here: Measuring the diameter of the inside of the nut is almost the same as measuring the outside of the male thread that the nut screws onto, No? Except for the depth/height of the actual threads.
That is correct.. I just find it easy to do the ID...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

post #17 of 17 Old 05-19-2008

Quote:
With the Nut loose I was only getting 78 drips a minute, Is this unusual? Should it have been more?
Define "loose."

When I did our P30 this spring, I used a large-ish-bladed screwdriver to gently initially seat the packing material. Then I gently screwed the packing nut down until the material "felt" pretty much fully seated. (Note: Unless you've worked with a lot of mechanical things over the years, many times blind, this might not be the method for you.) Then I backed the nut off until the packing material felt just barely packed. When our boat first went in the water we were getting a drip per second or better. I snugged the nut down until it was one drip every 7-8 seconds (being very cautious, here, as you can tell) and tightened the lock nut for her 15 minute trip from the launch location to her temporary slip. By the next day the at-rest drip rate was already down to one every 25 seconds or so. With no further adjustments, and after another... I dunno... 1-1/2 hour's time under power, it's down to one every minute or so at rest, all on its own. After about 15-20 minutes into that run, btw, it was at one every 10-12 seconds under way.

So my thinking is: Let the drip rate be a bit on the high side at first and see if it doesn't settle-down all on its own, before tightening further.

Quote:
As a first time boat owner/operator/maintainer, it is a real treat to have a resource like sailnet to refer to.
Indeed!

Quote:
Many thanks,
BP
You're quite welcome.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in