Done gone #@*%ed my outboard - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-24-2008 Thread Starter

Done gone #@*%ed my outboard

I have an older evinrude outboard 2stroke. Came with the boat we bought. Owner didn't tell me it was a 2stroke. I put regular gas in it. It started to rev up high, and then stop. Thought thats strange... Started it again and rode it back to the slip. Now the thing wont start. The fly wheel wont turn. I took the nut off the top and tried to free it... I am assuming it is frozen.
Is it?
Is it worth fixing?
Are there any tricks to fixing this sort of idiocy?
Any suggestions on what to do to get it going again?

teddius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-24-2008

I would guess it's finished. Since it now won't turnover I would guess the pistons and cylinder liners are ruined. And as you say it's older, probably not worth the cost to rebuild. Time to start looking for a new 4-stroke.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

Probably dead. Probably not worth fixing. Probably scored to hell and back, if not outright seized.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-24-2008
Special Delivery

Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Might make a so-so anchor.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-24-2008

Nah outboards dont work good as anchors. Call around to some of the shops in your area and see if anyone would like to buy it for spare parts. If only the powerhead seized, all the other bits from it might be useful.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-24-2008

It's probably as gone as the 1.6 liter engine in my older MR2, sorta locked up when the drain plug fell out of the oil pan on the highway (at 120mph).

ah, the glory days when I only had 47 points on my license.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-24-2008

Frozen outboard

You can take out the spark plugs and squirt some oil in the holes. Then, with the plugs still out, put the flywheel nut back on and try to turn it with a socket and a long handle/breaker bar. It will come loose and turn as long as it hasn't thrown a rod, which is unlikely. When it comes loose, put the plugs back in, put gas with 2 stroke oil in it and give it a try. (Hint:You can turn it over easily and fast by using that same flywheel nut socket and an electric drill). You can run a 2 stroke that has seized for a very long time afterward with no evident problems. 2 stroke out boards are very understressed and very durable. Give it a try!
post #8 of 17 Old 07-24-2008
Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeissinger View Post
You can take out the spark plugs and squirt some oil in the holes. Then, with the plugs still out, put the flywheel nut back on and try to turn it with a socket and a long handle/breaker bar. It will come loose and turn as long as it hasn't thrown a rod, which is unlikely. When it comes loose, put the plugs back in, put gas with 2 stroke oil in it and give it a try. (Hint:You can turn it over easily and fast by using that same flywheel nut socket and an electric drill). You can run a 2 stroke that has seized for a very long time afterward with no evident problems. 2 stroke out boards are very understressed and very durable. Give it a try!
I was going to suggest the same thing as a last ditch effort. However, you may want to use something like Marvel Mystery Oil (or another penetrating oil) for the cylinders, rather than regular motor oil. It is a bit thiner and has a better chance of freeing up the piston(s).
post #9 of 17 Old 07-24-2008

Well if you really want to try save it, go to an auto parts store and try to find a can of Sea Foam Deep Creep. Spray that into the cylinders and let it set for a day or two. Then get out the breaker bar and try to get it spinning. I would advise to keep spraying the SF in there and turning it over for a few minutes. Ive done this a few times to get stuck motors turning again.

On the other side of this, the cylinder walls may be scored, if thats the case, its done. Once the walls are scored, the rings cant seal and it wont have very much compression.

Good luck with what ever you do.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-26-2008

Depends on your budget what your time is worth.

Teddius,

Donít feel too bad, at some point we have all messed up. Only you can answer the question of whether it is worth fixing. That depends on whether or not you enjoy the process and want to invest the time it will take to resurrect it. Others have made some excellent suggestions. The only thing I would add is to make sure you run it rich on the oil side after you get it running again, should you decide to go down that path.
I own a í88, 2 cycle, 8hp Evinrude that I hang off the back of my twenty four foot sailboat. Itís a great engine and has served me well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in