ATN Genoa Sleeve (Sun Shield) - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2008 Thread Starter
Beneteau First 435E

ATN Genoa Sleeve (Sun Shield)

Has anyone had experience with the ATN Genoa Sleeve (Sun Shield)? It costs almost as much as a sail...the ad is below:

"ATN Genoa Sleeve (Sun Shield) - Protects the furled sail without the sacrificial sun cover. Sails without a sacrificial cover get better performance, but they must be protected from the UV & elements. Use the Sun Shield and get great sail performance and protection from the weather."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2008

The product almost seems like a non-sequiter to me. If you are serious enough to worry about the performance loss caused by a UV shield, you are probably serious enough that you have racing sails that you take down, and stored below when they are not being used.

If you roller furl your sails, you probably would prefer the convienience of not having to mess with placing a cover on the sail over the slight loss of performance the UV cover would cause. I'm not sure who the market for the thing is.

I had though it would be a nice to have if a big (named) storm were coming while the boat was in its slip as it looks like it would prevent a sail from unfurling and flogging itself to death, but again, it would be just as simple to pull the sail down a put it away and that doesn't cost any extra.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2008
Puddle Pirate

I got one. It was only $300 something and a new genoa for my boat starts at well over $1000. I don't believe in roller reefing, only furling. I have four headsails and none of them have sun covers. When I race the boat, I put up the most appropriate sail but I use the furler as designed rather than in "race mode" without the drum. At the windward mark I furl it and raise the chute, makes for easier foredeck work. When I'm done and want to scoot my butt on up to the club, I furl the jib, put on the cover and jet. Covers for all my sails would be much more than $300 and I don't have to put up with the overstuffed bra shape you get with the suncovered sails. This one is only a little more than the basic sleeve models sold by sailrite and others and it has one major advantage, it has a drawstring arrangement that allows you to snug it up around the sail after you put it on so it doesn't flap in the wind. It also keeps your spin halyard clean since all but the last little bit is inside the mast. Of course if a storm is coming or if I'm not going to be sailing the boat for a week or two, I take the sails off and bag them. Really going to be nice for extended cruising because you can leave the sail on all the time and not kill it with UV. That's one less sailbag I have find a spot for while cruising.

Kris

post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2008

Hi
This is not a new invention, I had one made last winter by my local sailmaker.
First a comment on the price it costed me far less than a new genoa.

I discussed this with my sailmaker before buying.
Our boat is not new but it is new to us and the PO had several foresails to the boat none with sun screen on. We are only using the boat for crusing but we are planning to use the best old (almost new) sails for some years.
we had two options
1) add sunscreen to some of the old sails
2) get a genoa sleeve made

The genoa sleeve give better protection against weather and pollution than a sunscreen on the sail.

I'm satisfied with mine it's easy to hoist and lower

Knut

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in