LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 122 Old 06-13-2017
Old as Dirt!

Re: Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Thanks for the pointer to the panel.

:rant
However, I will no longer order anything small from eBay, as I was recently screwed by PayPal. I realize that they are no longer the same company, but you can't buy small stuff from eBay without using PayPal. I also told my financial advisor to completely divest my portfolio from all PayPal holdings. Note that in the PayPal user agreement you contractually agree to accept PayPal as the equivalent of all other currency (HA!), and not to disparage PayPal in any way.

Lest you think that I am the problem, my eBay user rating is still 100%
:/rant

Hopefully, I will find something similar from Amazon.
Note that the Link I gave you in my prior post was not to an eBay Seller but to a direct vendor. Note too that in the earlier threads, there is a link to the vendor of the replacement motors I have used, also not on eBay. N'any case, good luck with your efforts. The repairs are somewhat tedious but not difficult and do work reasonably well.

Cheers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 122 Old 01-16-2018
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Well... Another 6 months has passed and our re-repaired Nicro Solar vent just keeps going and going. We just returned from a cruise to the Keys during which we had incredibly crappy weather and little sun and I though the vent might give out in the conditions but, somewhat to my surprise, it just kept going and going. Evidently, even a little sun-light even if filtered through cloud cover, is enough to keep the battery sufficiently charged. So... until next winter I guess...

FWIW...
So..its now a few daze shy of two years since my last re-repair of our Solar Vent and the thing keeps going and going. It has been running non-stop, day and night, the entire time and I'm beginning to think I may give out before the vent does at the current rate, particularly so given the cold we're enduring! (I know those up north are suffering far colder conditions but to an acclimatized "Floridian", 38 is, for all intents, "freezing!".) So, until next summer...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 01-19-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Correct spelling error
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (01-17-2018)
post #103 of 122 Old 02-20-2018

I've had so many issues with these things and have followed the advice here but the batteries in both of the fans don't seem to be charging. They work when i manually spin the fans in sunlight. Does anyone have a link to batteries that have worked?
My electrical knowledge is very minimal. That said, I somehow lost the resistor that came with one of the nicros. What was the purpose of that? Also I do not have the diode mentioned so maybe the power is being sucked out...where do i get one? and which was do i solder it? It's been a never ending mission to make these things work.
Also is it possible to get the fans anywhere besides the nicro repair kit? I broke one of the tabs on one.
thank you.

post #104 of 122 Old 02-21-2018
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
I've had so many issues with these things and have followed the advice here but the batteries in both of the fans don't seem to be charging. They work when i manually spin the fans in sunlight. Does anyone have a link to batteries that have worked?
My electrical knowledge is very minimal. That said, I somehow lost the resistor that came with one of the nicros. What was the purpose of that? Also I do not have the diode mentioned so maybe the power is being sucked out...where do i get one? and which was do i solder it? It's been a never ending mission to make these things work.
Also is it possible to get the fans anywhere besides the nicro repair kit? I broke one of the tabs on one.
thank you.
By saying "They work when i (sic) manually spin the fans in sunlight." do you mean that once you get the fans going manually, they will continue to run so long as there's sunlight? If so, the power from the solar panels is enough to spin the motor once the start-up has been initiated although, in an older motor, starting the fan can be problematic due to wear, friction, etc.

If you can, try checking the voltage out of the solar panels to ensure they're working properly (ensure that the contacts are clean and free of rust or corrosion before doing so!). If they are original Nicro panels and are quite old they may not be putting out sufficient voltage to overcome the start-up friction in the fan motor or charge the batteries when the motor is running in which case you'll have to replace the panels although that's not that difficult.

My earlier reference to a (blocking) diode was made in connection with the replacement solar panels. The Nicro panels are already fitted with one so that's not an issue unless they've gone bad. Lastly, ensure that the batteries are up-to-snuff and, of course mounted in the holder in the proper orientation/polarity. A fresh, fully charged battery should easily spin up the fan motor and keep it going for about 39-40 hours before giving out. If a fresh battery doesn't start the fan, you'll have to replace the motor but that's not too difficult (refer to some of the earlier posts for information). The replacement motors are (or were) about $8.00 and, in our case, have lasted 30K-40K hours.

The necessary repairs-all described earlier in this thread-are not difficult, merely tedious. Most anyone can handle the problem with a little patent effort.

FWIW...
bristol299bob likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #105 of 122 Old 02-21-2018

Thank you for this. Someone needs to make a "Best Of" from this thread.

#1 Fan -New panel (didnt know to opt for diode), new motor, new battery which doesnt seem to hold a charge. (was cheap chinese battery and indented terminals probably not making good contact anyway. lack of diode also could the issue?

#2 Fan -Motor is shot I believe (loud sound). New battery will not charge or start motor. Rest of components are old but solar is putting out sufficient mA.

I'm placing an order from sundance for two AccuPower 3000mAh NiMH batteries, two motors, diode, backup panel with wires and diode. Only $40 which is same price for a single rebuild kit from nicro. why are the replacement C batteries 25$ from nicro?
This is longest lasting project I've dealt with.

To be continued...
post #106 of 122 Old 06-11-2018
Old as Dirt!

Well, it is now about 2-1/2 years since my last re-repair of our Solar Vent and the thing is still whirling away, day and night, without fail. One thing I have noticed is the build-up of yellow discoloration on the exterior surface of the plastic cover over the solar panel, similar to the discoloration one sometimes sees in older plastic headlight lenses. The last time I saw this I treated it with Meguiar's PlastX which somewhat worked. Since then, however, a local mechanic told me that that he'd found using "Deep Woods Off" on a paper towel worked as well or better than any of the plastic cleaner/polishers which could be used for a final "polishing" after a Deep Woods treatment. I tried the stuff on an old plastic lens and found that it performed much better than the cleaner/polishers alone so I will be giving our Vent cover a treatment later today--once its in the shade and cooled down a bit--to see. I will report back on that.

N'any case, based on our earlier experience, I expect the Vent to continue working for another 10 months or so but who knows. Maybe more...or less. We'll see eh? (At least this time I'm prepared for the re-re-repair when needed!)

FWIW...

post #107 of 122 Old 06-11-2018

Thanks for the update; you must have done something right. After rebuilding two of them again with new motors and batteries they worked for about two weeks then died again. ug
post #108 of 122 Old 12-27-2018
Old as Dirt!

Well--Another 6 months or so has passed since my last report and our Solar Vent keeps going'n going, now about 3 years since my last re-repair. The fan does seem to have slowed somewhat but I suspect that may be a function of the aging of the rechargable battery which I shall finally replace after the first of the new year. At three yers it's done its duty, no? (FWIW I replace all the batteries in all the battery power devices on the boat, save the Solar Vent battery, semi-annually, on or about the first of January and the first of July--or sooner if need be--to ensure that everything works without fail as, when and if needed and to avoid the possibility that a battery might deteriorate and damage the gear during intervals of disuse/storage.)

N'any case, I shall provide another up-date in six months or so, or, sooner if the Vent gives out (my original repair lasted about 40 months!). We'll see, eh?

FWIW...
chef2sail and mbianka like this.

post #109 of 122 Old 12-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Well--Another 6 months or so has passed since my last report and our Solar Vent keeps going'n going, now about 3 years since my last re-repair. The fan does seem to have slowed somewhat but I suspect that may be a function of the aging of the rechargable battery which I shall finally replace after the first of the new year. At three yers it's done its duty, no? (FWIW I replace all the batteries in all the battery power devices on the boat, save the Solar Vent battery, semi-annually, on or about the first of January and the first of July--or sooner if need be--to ensure that everything works without fail as, when and if needed and to avoid the possibility that a battery might deteriorate and damage the gear during intervals of disuse/storage.)

N'any case, I shall provide another up-date in six months or so, or, sooner if the Vent gives out (my original repair lasted about 40 months!). We'll see, eh?

FWIW...
Thanks for the update. It's also a reminder to me that I need to repair my solar fans. I've got the motors you mentioned but, they are still sitting in my project box. Perhaps I'll get around to it this spring or summer or...

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #110 of 122 Old 06-27-2019
Old as Dirt!

Well, another 6 months has passed and our re-repaired Solar Vent keeps running and running, now 42 months since my last re-repair. This is two months longer than my first repair, which lasted for 40 months and the device shows no sign of failing (yet!). I did note some slowing in the fan last December but I attribute that to the relatively shorter day-light hours for recharging the battery during the winter months; and, to some "fogging" of the clear plastic lens over the solar panel. (That I was able to clean up with a wipe down with a cloth sprayed with Deep Woods Off followed with a polish with McGuier's PlastX cleaner/polish. I was told about the Deep Woods Off trick by a mechanic when I was looking for something to clean the plastic lenses on my aging automobile and the stuff really works.)

N'any case, I shall file another report on my re-repair on the earlier of the Vent's failure or 6 months (assuming, of course, that I last that long myself given my own aging!)

FWIW...
ottos and Minnesail like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in