Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair - Page 12 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 122 Old 11-22-2019
Old as Dirt!

Unhappy Re: Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair

Well--With some disappointment but no surprise I discovered our vent had finally stopped working sometime between late Tuesday afternoon (the 19th) and yesterday AM (the 21st). So, it will have run continuously without fail for one month shy of 4 years. While it might just be the battery, and I will try replacing that, I suspect it's the motor. If so, I might be able to resurrect it for a short while longer with a good blast of circuit cleaner and a little SailKote lube, and may try that, but it's more likely that another motor swap is in order (fortunately I have a spare in the Parts Locker). In either case, I shall report back shortly.

FWIW...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
RobGallagher (11-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 122 Old 11-23-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Thanks for the continued updates. I found that the wires and the connections between them and other components had to be re-soldered three years ago. I only use the vents in the winter, and I have removed the Ni-metal hydride batteries, so my use is not really comparable to yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-23-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #113 of 122 Old 11-23-2019

Re: Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair

My Nicro also failed, and not the first one. I took the guts out and fitted a cheap USB fan in the bore. This goes to a small solar panel on deck. I ditched the battery part when it was pointed out to me that our local nights are far more moist than the days. Why would I want to circulate wet air at night? The cheap fan is far better constructed than that poor excuse for a motor in the original. It also moves a lot more air. So far so good. It has even dried racing sails in a day or two that were put away hastily. Hogging out the bore to fit the slightly lager fan blades was the hardest part of the job. Some time ago, I also replaced the slip in part with a screw in so the deck plate is sealed a little better. The fan is always removed for racing. Did the OP's motor replacement, but it only lasted a couple of years. Still better than Nicro.

post #114 of 122 Old 11-25-2019
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Well--With some disappointment but no surprise I discovered our vent had finally stopped working sometime between late Tuesday afternoon (the 19th) and yesterday AM (the 21st). So, it will have run continuously without fail for one month shy of 4 years. While it might just be the battery, and I will try replacing that, I suspect it's the motor. If so, I might be able to resurrect it for a short while longer with a good blast of circuit cleaner and a little SailKote lube, and may try that, but it's more likely that another motor swap is in order (fortunately I have a spare in the Parts Locker). In either case, I shall report back shortly.

FWIW...
With regard to the foregoing, I am happy to report that the failure of our re-repaired vent after 47 months involved nothing more than a very dead/deteriorated Radio Shack NiCad battery. Once that was out of the vent and the vent placed in the sun, the fan spun up and whirled away quite merrily. Since I had the thing at home on my work bench I used the opportunity to seriously clean and polish the plastic cover over the solar panel and clean up the other plastic innards, and clean and polish the battery contacts. With a fresh battery in place, the fan spun right up and purred away.

With that, I headed out to Batteries Plus to purchase a replacement rechargeable C-Cell but there discovered that NiCad batteries are no longer offered, only Ni-MH although of much higher capacity, 5000 MAH verses 2000 for our former NiCads. For the moment I have one of the Ni-MH batteries in place and the vent sitting on the window sill, spinning away,but I am unsure as to whether the solar panel has enough "oomph" to recharge Ni-MH cells. (My knowledge of batteries rivals only my knowledge of brain surgery!) If anyone has any thoughts on that subject, I'd appreciate a comment. In the mean time, the experiment continues albeit with the shortened sunlight available at this time of the year. We'll see I guess.

FWIW...
chef2sail likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #115 of 122 Old 11-25-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
With regard to the foregoing, I am happy to report that the failure of our re-repaired vent after 47 months involved nothing more than a very dead/deteriorated Radio Shack NiCad battery. Once that was out of the vent and the vent placed in the sun, the fan spun up and whirled away quite merrily. Since I had the thing at home on my work bench I used the opportunity to seriously clean and polish the plastic cover over the solar panel and clean up the other plastic innards, and clean and polish the battery contacts. With a fresh battery in place, the fan spun right up and purred away.

With that, I headed out to Batteries Plus to purchase a replacement rechargeable C-Cell but there discovered that NiCad batteries are no longer offered, only Ni-MH although of much higher capacity, 5000 MAH verses 2000 for our former NiCads. For the moment I have one of the Ni-MH batteries in place and the vent sitting on the window sill, spinning away,but I am unsure as to whether the solar panel has enough "oomph" to recharge Ni-MH cells. (My knowledge of batteries rivals only my knowledge of brain surgery!) If anyone has any thoughts on that subject, I'd appreciate a comment. In the mean time, the experiment continues albeit with the shortened sunlight available at this time of the year. We'll see I guess.

FWIW...
I don’t remember the size of the 2000mah Nicole cadmium batteries. Will any of these fit the bill. I can gat to my boat to check

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...SAAEgLS4fD_BwE

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #116 of 122 Old 11-25-2019
Old as Dirt!

Thanks for the referral. I did find rechargable C-Cell NiCad's on the Amazon web site and have ordered a pair which should arrive by Dec 4th or so. In the mean time, we'll use the NiMH that's currently in the Vent and see how it does. At this point (12:19 11/25) the vent is sitting in bright sunlight on the window sill (outside) and whirling like a dervish after having run from about 1700 last evening through about 0700 this AM (shortly afer sunrise here) on battery power only. I guess the test will be whether the battery will be sufficiently recharged today to run the vent overnight yet again. I shall report on that on the morrow.

Cheers...

PS: With a little research I learned that NiCads can be stored indefinately in a cool dry location so long as they are fully discharged before storage. Of course, they will need recharging before being put into service again, and may take several charge-discharge cycles to reach full capacity, but they reportedly will be rejuvenated. In theory, C-cells should be good for about 1000 charge/discharge cycles. As our old battery would power the vent for about 3 days without any sun, it evidently was only partially discharged on a daily basis which may accout for its 47 month longevity.

FWIW...

post #117 of 122 Old 11-25-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good deal.
Long time ago I bought a NiCad charger cheap at Bacons. We no longer purchase “ normal” sized batteries as the charger keeps our supply of multi sized batteries at top charge.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #118 of 122 Old 11-26-2019
Old as Dirt!

So... Not without some trepidation, I went out to see whether our Vent was still running at 0600 this AM and discovered that it was still whirling away at about the same speed as it was yesterday afternoon shortly before the sun set. So, it seems that the NiMH battery was/is sufficiently charged by our solar panel despite what I had been told by a Nicro tech rather a long time ago (we originally bought this vent in 1989).

My insistence on finding NiCad batteries per Nicro's long ago instruction failed to account for the facts that: the solar panel in our vent is not the Nicro originals (there were two) but a single larger panel that I installed in the course of my first repair; and, that the motor is an aftermarket unit that I installed during my first re-repair which may be a bit more efficient/robust than the (then) 25 year old original. With those changes, the Vent may be able to use the NiMH batteries vs. the NiCAD. Accordingly, I shall continue using the NiMH battery for the while, even after I receive the NiCAD's I ordered, and see how the thing performs and will resume my periodic reports.

FWIW...

post #119 of 122 Old 12-09-2019

I found an almost identical motor for the 4" Nicro vent fans. I say almost, since the shaft length is specified as 10.8mm, while mine measures 13mm. All the other dimensions are identical to mine.

The other issue is that I cannot find any sources outside of Europe.

Conrad Components: part number 198080
The data sheet (see the German Conrad link) seems to show that the motor is sourced from Nissei (Japan) as part number B-148. My motor has "Made in Japan" molded into the plastic base.
Note the specifications and the upper left graph:
250 rpm under working load
27mA under working load
0.4v nominal, 0.3-6V range

Links (sorry, I have insufficient posts to make real links or to add files):
wwwamazonde/Components-198080-Solarmotor/dp/B005FQJQDQ
wwwamazoncouk/Conrad-Solar-motor-diameter-Nominal/dp/B005FQJQDQ
wwwconradcom/p/conrad-components-198080-solar-motor-198080
wwwconradat/de/p/conrad-components-198080-solarmotor-198080html

Can anyone find a source in the USA? That would be great!
post #120 of 122 Old 12-11-2019
Señor Member

The motor that people have been using (in this post) is from Sundance Solar https://store.sundancesolar.com/moto...-5v-to-12v-dc/ and apparently still available after all this time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrmundi View Post
I found an almost identical motor for the 4" Nicro vent fans. I say almost, since the shaft length is specified as 10.8mm, while mine measures 13mm. All the other dimensions are identical to mine.

The other issue is that I cannot find any sources outside of Europe.

Conrad Components: part number 198080
The data sheet (see the German Conrad link) seems to show that the motor is sourced from Nissei (Japan) as part number B-148. My motor has "Made in Japan" molded into the plastic base.
Note the specifications and the upper left graph:
250 rpm under working load
27mA under working load
0.4v nominal, 0.3-6V range

Links (sorry, I have insufficient posts to make real links or to add files):
wwwamazonde/Components-198080-Solarmotor/dp/B005FQJQDQ
wwwamazoncouk/Conrad-Solar-motor-diameter-Nominal/dp/B005FQJQDQ
wwwconradcom/p/conrad-components-198080-solar-motor-198080
wwwconradat/de/p/conrad-components-198080-solarmotor-198080html

Can anyone find a source in the USA? That would be great!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in