SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   butyl tape (

pegasus1457 10-10-2008 04:42 PM

butyl tape
I am in the process of refitting the hinged lid of the propane locker that a PO had built into the cockpit seat. I want to seal the hinges to prevent water from getting into the screw holes (I have already overdrilled the holes, filled with epoxy and redrilled, but I still want to keep out unnecessary water).

I had seen butyl tape recommended for this purpose on a forum someplace, but I have not been able to find it on West Marine's or Jamestown Distributors' web sites.

Does anyone know where I can buy it? Does it have another name?

Or is there another product which is even better?

artbyjody 10-10-2008 04:47 PM

Any hardware place will carry it - ACE, Home Depot, Lowes etc...

Maine Sail 10-10-2008 05:09 PM

Not up here..
Ace, Lowe's and Home Depot do not carry butyl tape, at least in the North East, but they do sometimes carry butyl foam weather strip which is NOT the same as the rubbery silly putty like stuff. RV tape is also not the same quality as the good stuff the boat builders used.

Bed-It Butyl Tape

This is the stuff I use

dgr 10-10-2008 05:09 PM

Any place that sells motorhome accessories should carry it. You can buy it at camping world locally or online. They also have a wider, thicker version in white labelled as "Kool Patch"

pegasus1457 10-10-2008 05:31 PM

Thanks, guys.

It never occurred to me to look at RV suppliers. I will visit my local RV shop this weekend. ;)

Halekai, what's with the name change? Did you change vessels?

Maine Sail 10-10-2008 05:44 PM


Originally Posted by pegasus1457 (Post 382534)

Halekai, what's with the name change? Did you change vessels?

I've changed vessels three times since I owned Hale Kai but it took me this long to convince the admins to change my user name to Maine Sail, which is a non boat name just a screen name!

I use Maine Sail on most other forums except for a couple which are still "Acoustic", which was another boat name, prior to my current one. I have stopped using boat names due to my ability to buy and sell boats often!!;);););)

westerly33 10-10-2008 05:53 PM

This stuff you can buy in Home Depot in tubs like any caulking for a caulking gun and it is white.
Very convenient to use and price is about $2 per a tube.
It called Roof and gutter seal.
I used it for ports bedding this summer.
And it is in Canada.


artbyjody 10-10-2008 06:06 PM

Maine, I actually do purchase the stuff through local hardware stores here. Its usually in the screen door sections.

floatsome 10-10-2008 07:01 PM

Glass install shops will sell rolls of it too. I just took 34 year old fittings off the old boat that I think had been bedded with butyl tape. Still soft, and the fittings had not been leaking. Don't use it where there might be any movement.

AjariBonten 10-10-2008 07:13 PM

Hale, is there a material reason not to use the black butyl tape? or is is strictly aestethic? The reason I ask is that I have a nearly unlimited supply of black butyl tape that I can have at no cost; and being a cheap [email protected][email protected]& ......... I would scrounge a small supply of it to squirrel away if it is simply a cosmetic difference.

Thanks, Fred

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome