Different deck colors and the heat generated... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2008 Thread Starter
Montgomery 17

Different deck colors and the heat generated...

I am determining weather to paint the deck of my Southcoast 22 two different colors or just one.

When I was deciding what color I wanted the boat to be I thought it would be best to paint it like the new boat coming off the line today. What I saw was one color on the deck and hull above and below the water line with a water line stripe down the hull.

I like this approach because one color on the deck and topsides of the hull would be easiest, but the look of the nonskid being a different color is still appealing to me.

On my Watkins 29, the boat is basically an off white with light tan nonskid. If you are on deck and the sun is out, when you touch the white and the tan you can deffinately tell that the white is cooler. You can even feel the difference touch the roof in the cabin.

Does this happen with all colors other than white? Just a simple question that came to mind a few minutes ago...

Small is beautiful, simple, cheap, and easy......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2008
moderate?

Perithead...YES...anything other than white will be hotter....and the darker the color the hotter it gets...too hot to stand on in some cases. If you like the two tone idea, I suggest you go with something very pale and close to white but enough to show a contrast.

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2008

A mix of the Interlux Interdeck grey and white is nice.

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2008

If you go grey, make it light as Jason suggests.. straight grey will be very hot underfoot.

If you're after the two tone look, think about mixing a bit of your other major colour (if hull is not white, eg) very pale beige/green/blues can look alright. The 70s Rangers used a very pale greenish tone that cut the brightness and was still cool underfoot.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2008 Thread Starter
Montgomery 17

Thanks guys, I might just go with the mono tone and go all white. Or some sort of off white, what is a common and good looking off white?

Small is beautiful, simple, cheap, and easy......

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
post #6 of 6 Old 10-13-2008

Hatteras White is a good color.

-Jason

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in