Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 131 - SailNet Community
 1310Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1301 of 1596 Old 02-01-2015
Back to just the Jon boat

Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Thanks PorFin and Sloop.

My steady hand on chisel sharpening leaves me with a nice curved edge. Would probably need to take a lot of metal off to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1302 of 1596 Old 02-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
To further the drift....................

Please forgive my ignorance but please explain glass with 6 sides, where to get that "real" wet-dry sandpaper and how to sharpen a chisel properly.

Thanks.
Google "Scary Sharp" -- that's the slang term for sharpening with sandpaper. There's a bunch of videos and stuff out there.

Get the sandpaper at an auto parts place. (Or a marine supplier, to get this back to nautical talk)

I use a jig to keep the angles right.
post #1303 of 1596 Old 02-02-2015
One of None

this is the last of the scrap from my bench build. 23" X 11" for a possible kitchen cart/island or on the boat.

This took too long to make! Now my scary sharp tools are dull again. Beech is hard!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

post #1304 of 1596 Old 02-02-2015
Bill SV Rangatira

Send a message via Skype™ to Bill-Rangatira

my new exhaust mixer is a cross between this
Yanmar 2QM20 mixing elbow - SailboatOwners.com
http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners....0&d=1382657476
and this
Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - View Single Post - Where did you get 1-1/4" black iron pipe and fittings?
I will post pictures when done
cost about $20 in fittings and $25 to machine shop for turning and cutting thread on a pipe coupling

deniseO30 likes this.

Last edited by Bill-Rangatira; 02-21-2015 at 09:11 PM.
post #1305 of 1596 Old 02-21-2015
aka $tingy Sailor

Sitting by the fire this winter, I thought I'd try my hand at coachwhipping my tiller handle similar to the cover of Don Casey's book 100 Fast and Easy Boat Improvements, which I read and reviewed on my blog.

I had to devise a way to accommodate the taper in the handle, but it turned out great and only cost me $4.29. For the back story, instructions, and tips, see How to add coachwhipping to your tiller handle on my blog.
fryewe, deniseO30, Bene505 and 5 others like this.

Explore over 100 DIY sailboat restoration and improvement projects at
post #1306 of 1596 Old 02-21-2015

Very nice whipped tiller.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #1307 of 1596 Old 02-22-2015
One of None

Woo.. not really low buck project but it works! It's Singer industrial 241-11 It rocks! plugged it in and this old motor starts a flywheel a spinning... the treadle controls the speed, takes a bit getting the right touch to get low speed.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #1308 of 1596 Old 02-23-2015

I hope I'm not the only dummy who just lived with a boom that would waggle back and
forth when you motor along, or sit at moorage (slip). I used to pull the main sheet in "real tight"
and the boom vang. I've seen little wire clips that some use to clip the boom end to the backstay
(I don't think they really work well). So I came up with this last summer while motoring to Victoria BC
(beautifull city). Cost = practicaly nothing. Result = 100% practical. If you don't have a doger with hand holds you can just string a line anywhere... main sheet holds it off to one side a little and the other line pulls on the boom the oposit way, resulting in a boom that has no more waggle.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0458.jpeg  

Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Dave_E; 02-23-2015 at 10:23 AM.
post #1309 of 1596 Old 02-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
I hope I'm not the only dummy who just lived with a boom that would waggle back and
forth when you motor along, or sit at moorage (slip). I used to pull the main sheet in "real tight"
and the boom vang. I've seen little wire clips that some use to clip the boom end to the backstay
(I don't think they really work well). So I came up with this last summer while motoring to Victoria BC
(beautifull city). Cost = practicaly nothing. Result = 100% practical. If you don't have a doger with hand holds you can just string a line anywhere... main sheet holds it off to one side a little and the other line pulls on the boom the oposit way, resulting in a boom that has no more waggle.
We often tie the boom off to one side, usually with the tail of the mainsheet, in a rolly anchorage to avoid that and the noise of that wee bit of motion..

I hope your dodger frame is skookum enough to take the loading.. I'd prefer to tie that off to a toerail or a outboard cleat...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #1310 of 1596 Old 02-23-2015
Barquito

Denise, that sewing machine is awesome. I bet you could stitch plate steel together!

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in