Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 151 - SailNet Community
 1310Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1501 of 1596 Old 02-26-2016
Senior Moment Member

Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Yeah - gratings on a boat are the nautical equivalent of louvers and lightening holes on a car.

Just plain cool looking.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1596 Old 02-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Yeah - gratings on a boat are the nautical equivalent of louvers and lightening holes on a car.

Just plain cool looking.
... until that Loonie falls out of your pocket

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #1503 of 1596 Old 02-28-2016
aka $tingy Sailor

Hi, Guys!

It's impressive how this thread has taken on a life of its own and stayed alive over the years. There are a lot of handy and creative skippers out there. It was one of the motivations for me starting The $tingy Sailor three years ago.

As a way of giving back to the DIY community, I'm hosting a DIY project contest on The $tingy Sailor through the month of March and I invite you to enter your best projects. No catch, no gimmicks, just a good, old-fashioned showdown. Complete details are available through the preceding link.

You've done some awesome work and you deserve a shot at winning one of the prizes. If you know of anybody else that you think deserves a chance, please let them know too. Yeah, it reduces your odds of winning, but let the best work win, I say!

If you have any questions or concerns, let me know in a personal message or with my Contact page.

Keep up the great work!
Ken

Explore over 100 DIY sailboat restoration and improvement projects at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1504 of 1596 Old 02-28-2016

One of the problems I encountered after installing my solar panel was charging either the house batteries (4 T-105 in series/parallel) or my start battery (12-volt deep cycle marine). Because of impedance differences, I could charge them all at the same time, therefore, I had to disconnect the house bank from the solar panel regulator and connect the wire to the start battery, which meant removing everything, including the cushion from my quarter berth, which is where all the batteries are housed.

The solution, eclectically, was simple, but I needed to simplify the method of switching from house to start and still monitor the charge rate. This was easily accomplished by purchasing a 2 gang, plastic receptacle box at Home Depot ($1.99), then installing a 20-amp DPDT toggle switch ($5.99, and a 30 amp ameter ($24). Wiring took about 10 minutes to complete and everything works like a champ - I'm a happy camper.

Gary
CarbonSink62 likes this.
post #1505 of 1596 Old 03-01-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

This is almost a no buck project because I know 1) sailors have plenty of tote bags and 2) at some point will buy enough wine/liquor that the store puts it in a box with dividers when you check out. I find the box awkward to carry so I took the cardboard dividers and put them inside my sturdiest canvas tote. Each time I use it the people in line think I invented the light bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
NoBuck.jpg  
Runshari and clip68 like this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #1506 of 1596 Old 03-01-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
This is almost a no buck project because I know 1) sailors have plenty of tote bags and 2) at some point will buy enough wine/liquor that the store puts it in a box with dividers when you check out. I find the box awkward to carry so I took the cardboard dividers and put them inside my sturdiest canvas tote. Each time I use it the people in line think I invented the light bulb.
When visiting my parents I picked up some very inexpensive wine on clearance at Kroger's, They had wine totes kind of like this but with cloth dividers. I grabbed a few every time I picked some wine up, and brought them home figuring they would have some use on the boat, but have not found a use yet other than keeping wine from clanging.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #1507 of 1596 Old 03-01-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
When visiting my parents I picked up some very inexpensive wine on clearance at Kroger's, They had wine totes kind of like this but with cloth dividers. I grabbed a few every time I picked some wine up, and brought them home figuring they would have some use on the boat, but have not found a use yet other than keeping wine from clanging.
Someone mentioned those at the wine store today but with my cardboard dividers I can remove them and use the tote as a regular tote when I'm not carrying wine.
SloopJonB and capta like this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #1508 of 1596 Old 03-01-2016

Didn't want to pay $80 for a simple dinghy bridle. Made this one today out of webbing, stainless hardware, and a pool noodle.

Cost = under $20.
Attached Thumbnails
20160301_143831.jpg  
capta likes this.
post #1509 of 1596 Old 03-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Didn't want to pay $80 for a simple dinghy bridle. Made this one today out of webbing, stainless hardware, and a pool noodle.

Cost = under $20.
I'd consider changing those quick hooks.. I've seen them unlatch themselves when the dinghy surges down a wave.. The locking versions are more reliable.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #1510 of 1596 Old 03-01-2016
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Someone mentioned those at the wine store today but with my cardboard dividers I can remove them and use the tote as a regular tote when I'm not carrying wine.
That's a big plus - those booze bags are useless for anything else.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in