Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 154 - SailNet Community
 1315Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1531 of 1600 Old 05-15-2016
Senior Moment Member

Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Looks great, especially for a first effort.

It takes a few different pieces to start to get a feel for what will work best.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1600 Old 05-15-2016
al brazzi

Thanks, I'm not looking for shine as much as corrosion resistance, these pieces are going to stand out a bit on an older Boat but if I don't polish them it will be ugly. Its nice to master a new skill, I'll get there.
post #1533 of 1600 Old 05-16-2016

I'm making repairs on my 1969 Chrysler Lonestar 16. I needed to tighten and repair the jib sheet cam cleats but they were installed on the deck before it was attached to the hull. I needed to remove the side cushions and make an access hole to be able to reach the nuts on the underside of the screws.

The side cushions are thin pieces of plywood covered with foam and vinyl upholstery. I will replace them.
Attached Thumbnails
20160515_173452_1463375510409.jpg   20160515_173637_1463375579976.jpg  

post #1534 of 1600 Old 05-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Pick up a small bench buffer at HF for $40 along with a stick of green compound. Wet sand the plates through the grits up to about 1000 grit or thereabouts then polish them with the green stick and the buffer - they'll look like chrome.

Then you have the buffer to keep your metal bits looking good for years to come.

Some samples before & after.
What do you use to corral those small and irregular parts as you minister to them to keep them from sliding all over the place?
post #1535 of 1600 Old 05-16-2016
Senior Moment Member

Hang on tight! Wear gloves because it is a filthy process and the piece can get very hot as well.

Make sure you are only using the "down" part of the buff - it should always be moving away from you where it contacts the workpiece.

Very small parts like bolt heads can occasionally fly across the room but holding them with vice grips minimizes it.
seabeau likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #1536 of 1600 Old 05-16-2016

I use a pair of welder's gloves when high speed polishing metal parts, which not only protects your hands from the heated surface, but the gloves also protect you from injury when some parts go flying in the wrong direction.

Gary
seabeau likes this.
post #1537 of 1600 Old 05-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I use a pair of welder's gloves when high speed polishing metal parts, which not only protects your hands from the heated surface, but the gloves also protect you from injury when some parts go flying in the wrong direction.

Gary
Like those high gauntlet style? To the elbows?
post #1538 of 1600 Old 05-16-2016
Senior Moment Member

Can't hurt but I just use split cowhide work gloves. If you are doing small pieces you'll find the fingertips get worn through so it's better to not use expensive ones.

The stiffer the gloves are the more parts go flying as well - finger dexterity is important.

One other thing - it's best to do it outside. As I mentioned, it is a filthy process and the flying grime is waxy so it sticks wherever it lands.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 05-16-2016 at 01:40 PM.
post #1539 of 1600 Old 05-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Can't hurt but I just use split cowhide work gloves. If you are doing small pieces you'll find the fingertips get worn through so it's better to not use expensive ones.

The stiffer the gloves are the more parts go flying as well - finger dexterity is important.

One other thing - it's best to do it outside. As I mentioned, it is a filthy process and the flying grime is waxy so it sticks wherever it lands.
That sound reasonable. I've got an old side grinder somewhere about but its industrial and might be too difficult to handle on small parts. I'll get some of those abrasive sticks and give that stuff a try. My old boat could use some "brightening up". Thanks.
post #1540 of 1600 Old 05-16-2016
al brazzi

I routed a recess in a piece of hardwood to hold my parts while using scotch brite pads, they can still fly out at times but it works pretty good. For the buffer, gloves.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in