Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 157 - SailNet Community
 1314Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1561 of 1596 Old 05-17-2017

Dock
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I just bought my first "real" sailboat. This thread is dangerous.

Thanks for all the ideas! Now I just need to find some time.
Rhapsody-NS27 and seabeau like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1596 Old 05-17-2017

Wow! you folks are all terrifically creative, you've given me lot's of ideas! Only problem is all these low bucks ideas are starting to add up! lol
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #1563 of 1596 Old 09-21-2017

If anyone is having trouble seeing the pictures like I was, download this extension for google chrome (only works for chrome) and you will be able to see almost all pictures. the extension fixes the links to photobucket.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

post #1564 of 1596 Old 11-12-2017
美國佬

We have a big scum problem at our dock, and a dock mate of mine spent $70 on a brush like this one. I spotted a brush that looks remarkably similar for $3 at H&[email protected] Fr*!ght yesterday and duct taped it to an old boat pole and I'm very pleased.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171112_152201.jpg  

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by willyd; 11-16-2017 at 06:22 PM.
post #1565 of 1596 Old 10-07-2018

I love this topic , lets see if we can get it going again .

Need some inspiration ? Get this book .
https://www.amazon.com/Sailors-Sketc.../dp/0071550968
pdqaltair and br3nt like this.

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 10-07-2018 at 09:10 PM.
post #1566 of 1596 Old 10-07-2018

I am a bit over the $100 mark, but considering inflation since this thread started 10 years ago, I am pretty close. Ive spent maybe $160 cdn, so maybe $120 US. The project has been quite a bit of effort but has been cheap with the biggest expense being 3 sheets of 1/4" douglas fir ply and some hardware store pine to build frame and internal chines, tite bond glue and a bit of fibreglass tape and epoxy to seal the seams.

The rig is a rig I had laying around the house and am currently using for 2 other boats (my WB8 and my sailing canoe). Oars are the oars off my WB8.

Its a complete boat hull, a class legal PDRacer. The design is my own. The boat was specifically designed to nest in the back of a Grand Caravan with the middle row of seats up. Carrying capacity is adeqyate to carry the whole family (in extremely protected waters), without needing to trailer or even car top a boat. Couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
20180917_151612.jpg   20180917_152555.jpg   20180919_123900.jpg   20180719_090203.jpg   20180719_090352.jpg  

Last edited by Arcb; 10-07-2018 at 06:39 PM.
post #1567 of 1596 Old 10-07-2018

Arcb

It's very ingenious, but what do you use it for?
post #1568 of 1596 Old 10-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Arcb

It's very ingenious, but what do you use it for?
Aside from the pleasure I got from designing, building and tinkering.

I am going to race it. For one design racing its not supposed to matter how fast the core design is, what matters should be that all the boats are the same general speed, so most classes should be competitive within their class, in theory any way. The class isnt as big as it was 10 years ago, but there are still lots of PDRs out there racing.

I am also going to experiment with it as a camp cruiser. The box design allows for a sizable pay load. So in theory, my son and I could load the boat into the van and go to a wetland, pond, lake or river, assemble the boat on the beach, load it up with camping gear and go exploring. The boat has two sizable dry cargo areas for tent, sleeping bags and food.

Or as a day sailor. We just got back from a road trip to Cape Breton- about 2000 km with a canoe onthe roof and sailing rig in the back. The Cape Breton Highlands werent a fantastivc place for bombing along at 110 kph with 70kph cross winds with a boat on the roof, but you wouldnt even notice a boat nested in the back inside of the car. So same thing. Road trip some where, set up camp on the beach, assemble your boat on arrival and use it for day sailing.
post #1569 of 1596 Old 10-09-2018

I was tied up next to this old motor cruiser this season. I loved the table lamp in the 'window'. At night it was pleasant glow to see.

You don't see 'table lamps' on boats, for obvious reasons. But I had a dark area between the saloon and vee berth below in our boat, and that lamp got me thinking...

I had swapped out all the incandescent bulbs for LED's in our household bulb cabin fixtures. LED's are available in 12VDC household base in various wattages and color temperatures and I had a couple spares on hand. Lamp parts, remember those?

Sailboats like ours are smaller than that big cruiser - I'd have to scale things down. I knew small(4-6") lamp shades are available to fit chandelier bulbs. I bought a couple of those. Now a base. My dark space, has a high fiddled shelf under a port. We have Maine beach finds around the house and boat. A rolled rock, formed by eons of pounding surf on our granite islands, caught my. I drilled it for the threaded lamp pipe. Not high enough so I added another to make a cairn. I sat it in a doughnut of silicone (on an oiled surface) to form a non skid base. But I also tied the wiring below for security.

Not only did it light the passageway at night,.....

...it added another warm light on the harbor. Just what I was looking for in the port.

With extra parts, I put another together out of a cut of drift wood and a Lexan base for stability. For this one, I added a 16/2 cord and plug so it could be stored and used if you extra light.

Cost is about $20 per lamp, including a 7 watt bulb.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
oldlaxer1 (10-09-2018)
post #1570 of 1596 Old 10-09-2018

This is so simple (the way I did it) the true marline spikers will cringe , maybe this winter I'll do some splicing . Anyhow the toggle is from the bay . It was advertised as a sweater button/toggle there were some interesting ones made from bone but I landed on the wood ones , 5 for 2 bucks .
IMG_0050 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0051 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0052 by mark westi, on Flickr

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in