Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 159 - SailNet Community
 1310Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1581 of 1596 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Daniel - Norsea 27

Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I've heard of people doing this mod before. I have a 12v drill I plan to do this with once the battery stops taking a charge. Good reminder.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1582 of 1596 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The silly thing was... I was actually browsing the internet looking for a corded 12-volt drill. Of course all my search results came back with battery powered drills. Then I remembered the junk gathering dust in the garage.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #1583 of 1596 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

I thought that I might have posted this here, but scanning back through the various pages, I apparently didn't. I like to steer from the the sides of the cockpit near the rail of the boat where I can better see the jib teletales.
Jeff Sailing September 2018

The problem is that it is hard to see the GPS/Chartplotter from the side of the boat unless it is able to rotate. I had seen commercial GPS mounts but they all looked either too flimsy or were wildly expensive and most did not rotate. I ended up designing this simple starboard turn-table to mount the GPS on. It works very well and did not take very long to make.

E-GPS RotoMount w GPS in place 2

E-GPS RotoMount Detail w-o GPS in place

E-GPS RotoMount frm below

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #1584 of 1596 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

The other really low buck project was a cover for the end of my boom. Like many performance boats my boom end fitting has an opening that allows you to reeve new lines or replace the hardware that lives is inside the boom. This opening has been very appealing to birds and every spring I would have bird's nesting in the end of my boom. So I made this little cover out of prefinished aluminum flashing that I cut to shape and folded over to hem. I then made a naugahyde cover for the aluminum in case someone came in contact with it. The naugahyde was cut oversized to allow for a 1/2" margin and glued in place with contact cement. I folded and glued the margin onto the back of the aluminum before screwing it in place.

Synergy Boom End Fitting

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:23 PM.
post #1585 of 1596 Old 4 Weeks Ago
thebrianmanley

Some horrible bent/twisted mahogany from Jamestown Distributors I think, a piece of red oak I had laying around (the leg) and a plywood top with some grooves routed in to look shippy. Lowes white paint and an old can of Cetol. Mix in some sloppy cuts and voila! Fold down table.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4176.jpeg   IMG_4178.jpeg  

Last edited by richland.ranger; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:12 PM.
post #1586 of 1596 Old 1 Week Ago

Needed a better way to raise and lower the mast on my Mac 22. I didn't want to drop a few hundred on an actual mast raising system. So, I just made one. Works great. Got to use it today.
Made from a heavy gauge fence post, winch, 1/8" cable, hook, a pulley, and a length of water hose just big enough to get on the foot of it. Total cost was $30. Maybe. I bought the winch used for $5. Post was $8, cable hook, and everything else was maybe $10-15.
Works great. and makes raising and lowering the mast crazy easy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2674.JPG   IMG_2675.JPG   IMG_2676.JPG   IMG_2677.JPG  
post #1587 of 1596 Old 1 Week Ago

I don't have the pictures but I finally finished wiring my boat up. New masthead light, bow and stern lights, and interior lights. Got a battery, a small solar panel, and a battery tender solar controller for my birthday and so I wired them in. I used good tinned marine wire. In total I have about $80 in it not counting the gifts. Those would add another $200 to the project. However, I got it all wired up and running. Full LED and I'm all good for an overnight trip now. I'll be hooking up my fish finder to test it out. I need to find a good spot to mount it. If I can find a good place then I'll need to mount it and then I'll be good for a while. I think from here on out it'll either be repairs to things I break or accessories. I'll worry about that when the time comes though. I think if I can get this last little bit up and working I just may have the nicest Mac 22 out there. lol
Minnesail likes this.
post #1588 of 1596 Old 1 Week Ago

2" industrial velcro makes for easy temp...or permanent mounting...and still portable.
post #1589 of 1596 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
2" industrial velcro makes for easy temp...or permanent mounting...and still portable.
That's a good idea. I'm more concerned about the location. The cockpit is fairly small and space is a premium. Although, with velcro I may be able to mount it in different places. I'll play with it this weekend while I'm out.
post #1590 of 1596 Old 1 Week Ago

When converting a 12v drill ,may I suggest HD speaker wire. Flexible and big amp compatible. I built a 17 ' sailboat on the beach in Thailand .Makita and a car battery
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in