Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 160 - SailNet Community
 1310Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1591 of 1596 Old 07-06-2019
Barquito

Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That's a good idea. I'm more concerned about the location. The cockpit is fairly small and space is a premium. Although, with velcro I may be able to mount it in different places. I'll play with it this weekend while I'm out.
An arm that swings from inside the cabin, into the companion way works well. You may also consider mounting them on a board that replaces one of the hatch boards.

Valiant 32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1596 Old 07-06-2019

RAM mounts are great. Their suction cup rubber ball mount allows you to put something on virtually any smooth flat surface - companionway hatch, plexiglass port, vertical gunwale. I have a rubber ball permanently attached at the top of my binnacle for mounting my chartplotter for when sitting at the helm (or adjacent to the helm, since it can rotate 360 degrees around). When the weather turns bad, I put the suction cup under the dodger and move the chartplotter there. I also take the suction cup to others' boats to mount my stuff temporarily if doing a delivery or charter.

Attached Thumbnails
suction cup.jpg  
Minnesail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1593 of 1596 Old 07-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
RAM mounts are great. Their suction cup rubber ball mount allows you to put something on virtually any smooth flat surface - companionway hatch, plexiglass port, vertical gunwale. I have a rubber ball permanently attached at the top of my binnacle for mounting my chartplotter for when sitting at the helm (or adjacent to the helm, since it can rotate 360 degrees around). When the weather turns bad, I put the suction cup under the dodger and move the chartplotter there. I also take the suction cup to others' boats to mount my stuff temporarily if doing a delivery or charter.

I didn't know there were suction cup RAM mounts.....That would work great. I could move it around as the situation demands. I use a permanent base for one on my fishing boat. I like those Ram mounts. I'll see about getting one on my next payday. I just spent a lot more than I planned on for this last one.

post #1594 of 1596 Old 07-11-2019

This is genius. What is the amp draw on the drill? Does it spike up high if the drill gets bogged down in tough material?
post #1595 of 1596 Old 07-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
This is genius. What is the amp draw on the drill? Does it spike up high if the drill gets bogged down in tough material?
I've heard some people say they have a binary depth sounder ó their keel. Either they're aground or they're not.

Well, I have a binary amp meter. Either I've blown the fuse or I haven't. So I know that the drill draws less than 15 amps, but I couldn't say how much less. If it bogs down it does drop the voltage enough so that you can see the cabin lights dim.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #1596 of 1596 Old 07-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I've heard some people say they have a binary depth sounder ó their keel. Either they're aground or they're not.

Well, I have a binary amp meter. Either I've blown the fuse or I haven't. So I know that the drill draws less than 15 amps, but I couldn't say how much less. If it bogs down it does drop the voltage enough so that you can see the cabin lights dim.
That's a good enough answer for me. Less than 15 A should be fine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in