SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Judo or Exercise mats for Berth and Sette Cushions (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/50235-judo-exercise-mats-berth-sette-cushions.html)

Brisco 01-05-2009 05:37 PM

Judo or Exercise mats for Berth and Sette Cushions

Hello

I am in the market for some new cushions / pads for my V-Berth and interior Settee's. My first though was to buy some foam and make a cover, I prefer firmer mattresses and would need foam about 1" thick. This was looking to be expensive, Also I want to be able to access 3 storage areas under my Berth. With the current cushions (5" thick memory foam) they are big and cumbersome and slide around very easily, resulting in the sleeper waking up laying on the fiberglass, and far to soft for my liking.

Has anyone used 3/4" or 1" Thick Inner locking Judo or exercise mats for their settee or Berth cushions?

Here are the materials I am thinking of:
EXERVO Interlocking Mats, 24 sq ft, 3/4" thick
1" Premium Martial Arts Mats
SoftTiles 2x2 1 Inch Double Sided Mats

Some things I like about them
- Inner locking... wont slide apart leaving you in the "crack" sleeping on fiberglass
- Water proof... These are designed for hot, wet, sauna like gyms. very low mold possibilities?
- Easy to clean
- Fairly cheap
- Firm

My concerns how much will they sweat? meaning after a night sleep how much water will condense under the cushion?

Does anyone have any experience using these before on a boat?

Ps: I have no affiliation with these companies or products.

Also as an additional bonus the Judo mats come with a "wood patern" design :D

AllThumbs 01-05-2009 05:49 PM

Not sure but I have looked at these myself but for the floor of the cabin.

wchevron 01-05-2009 09:09 PM

i don't have any experience with these in a boat but they arn't very comfortable to sit on for extended periods. i can't see myself sleeping on them but if you like a firm mattress, i think they would do the trick. i don't think they would sweat any more than a standard boat cushion.

heinzir 01-06-2009 12:31 AM

I wonder how the Soft Tiles would work as cockpit cushions?

AllThumbs 01-06-2009 06:33 AM

Was wondering the same. I wondered if they would get wet like a sponge. They are supposed to be closed cell foam. I have seen the 1/2" thick ones at Walmart. I have also seen the same 1/2" material in a 3x6' roll. Also called a Judo Mat.

Danny33 01-06-2009 07:25 AM

Save the judo and yoga mats for just that.
If you spend lots of nights on your boat ..get the closed cell foam to sleep on .A little more $ 3 inch and sleep well !

bljones 01-06-2009 10:04 AM

the interlocking foam tiles tend to slide around when they get wet, making them a poor choice for cockpit cushions. For a v-berth however, where they can be cut to fit and "locked in" by the inner hull, they may make a good choice for a spartan mattress. if you don't mind a hard mattress, foam tile also has the advantage of giving you a couple of extra inches of headroom in the v-berth over 3" thick cushions.

zz4gta 01-06-2009 10:26 AM

closed-cell foam, slow recovery memory foam, qualex foam, polyethylene, neoprene, polystyrene, EPS,

No affiliation with the site, just a decent price I found. Or scratch that and just buy a sleeping bag. Although I've done the sleeping bag, I think good cushions are in my future for next winter.

timebandit 01-06-2009 02:16 PM

Not much give in those and because they are water proof you will prolly sweat and trap moisture under neath, kinna like vinyl.

I just went with 4" foam from a water bed place.

I covered it with batting, then for a cover I used blue deniem installed inside inside out (becaused I liked the color better) then stapled it to 3/8" plywood with rust proof staples. I then gave it a light spray of 3m fabric protector.

I cured the problem of "sleeping in the cracks" by making the cracks across, sort of like sleeping in the soffa.:D

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...intdone001.jpg

sander06 01-08-2009 05:39 AM

We have an exercise mat cut to shape and size for our cockpit seats. Works great and doesn't cost a bloody fortune!!