SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Head maintenance - limited space (

rikhall 01-20-2009 01:46 PM

Head maintenance - limited space
Hi all

I have limited space where I wish to expand my options for the head. Currently the "Y" valve either sends the effluent to holding tank or the thru hull. From the holding tank there is one hose out to the pump out at deck level.

I want to install two more valves in order to be able to pump from tank to thru hull when I am way and heck gone out in the Gulf of Maine and the Bay of Fundy. Pump-outs are few and far between up there.

Space being a problem, can I use 1.5 inch house plumbing to allow me to "turn some corners" and get to the different valves?

I anticipate a "T" valve over the thru hull accepting either from the tank or the head and another "Y" valve from the tank sending to the pump out or the "T" above the thru hull.

My question concerns using hard "plastic" fittings such as I just used in plumbing a new toilet in my house.

I did some web searches and found no place to ask the Head Mistress - Peggie Hall (no relation)


xort 01-20-2009 05:31 PM

Some folks have used PVC for plumbing. Biggest problem is tight spaces where a length of pipe cannot be run.
You must not attach the PVC directly to hard fittings like a thru-hull for fear of cracking. You'll need a short piece of hose to make the connection.

I bought a PVC 90d elbow with special 1.5" PVC to 1.5" hose barbs. I looked but cannot find the reeipt to tell you the manufacturer. It is a marine supplier.

Take a look at my threads on seacocks and also Y-valves. Several good posts helping me with very similar issues.

Re-reading your post: You should use bronze elbows, valves and fittings at the seacock connections

CaptainForce 01-20-2009 05:36 PM

Rik, I use a more simplistic approach. Omit the Y-valve and send everything to the holding tank. From the holding tank effluent use a "T"-fitting that leads to the deck pump out or to a macerator pumping directly to a seacock. No Y-valve is needed with this set-up,- when pumping out from the deck all suction is applied to the tank as the seacock is closed. When using the macerator pump all suction is applied to the tank because the deck plate is closed. To be in compliance with restrictions you will need to have the seacock wired shut; the handle off the seacock; or access to the seacock locked. As always keep the tank vented. 'far less space required. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

sailingdog 01-20-2009 05:45 PM


The way I have the head plumbed on my boat is:

Head flushes directly to holding tank. Holding tank pumpout line has a diverter valve. One side goes up to the deck pumpout fitting, the other goes down to a diaphragm pump and to the seacock and through-hull that was previously attached to the head.

Any place you'd pump the head directly overboard, you can dump the holding tank instead. Less plumbing=less places to leak or stink. :)

The reason I generally recommend the diverter valve is that if someone accidentally leaves the seacock open and you go to the pumpout dock, you can pull seawater back through the macerator pump or diaphragm pump, damaging it in the process.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome