Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax - Page 32 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #311 of 330 Old 09-28-2017

Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

This Fabulous post was done in 2009. Do you still recommend the same products now that we are in 2017? And, what process would you recommend for Awlgrip stripes on hull?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 330 Old 12-25-2017

I touch up my hull every spring using same products. Hard to improve on what’s been shared. Good luck!

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
post #313 of 330 Old 04-22-2018

What an amazingly detailed post. Thank you for sharing!
I just polished my hull with 3M Perfect-It 36105 Gelcoat Medium Cutting Compound/Wax. I was happy with the results, but it was definitely far from this incredible level of gloss. I think I'll take another shot at it next spring and maybe get it a little closer to something as amazing as this.

post #314 of 330 Old 04-23-2018

I put my last coat of wax on the boat 4 years ago when I switched to Poli-Glo, which only takes me about a half hour to apply and looks fantastic all year long. This year, I'll strip the old coats of Poli-Glo from the hull with their special cleaner and begin anew. A friend of mine did that last week and his boat has a mirror finish now.

Good Luck,

Gary
post #315 of 330 Old 03-12-2019

How important is variable speed on the buffer? I don't have electric where my boat is currently stored so looking at a Ryobi battery powered buffer, but it's single speed (2500 rpm). Is that too fast? Oxidation isn't that bad, and the boat is only 24 feet so I don't plan on going all out, so maybe it's ok? Or is a single-speed so bad I should consider a towing the boat to a different location to do it? (or finding a generator, I'm not spending $800 on one..)

edit; nvm, think I'm ditching the idea of battery powered buffer. Gonna try one of the cheaper $400 generators. Also useful for power washer and other things.

Last edited by Scandium; 03-13-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #316 of 330 Old 03-13-2019
Senior Moment Member

2500 is too fast - that's sanding speed.

For buffing & polishing you want about 1/2 that - 1200 to 1400.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #317 of 330 Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
How important is variable speed on the buffer? I don't have electric where my boat is currently stored so looking at a Ryobi battery powered buffer, but it's single speed (2500 rpm). Is that too fast? Oxidation isn't that bad, and the boat is only 24 feet so I don't plan on going all out, so maybe it's ok? Or is a single-speed so bad I should consider a towing the boat to a different location to do it? (or finding a generator, I'm not spending $800 on one..)

edit; nvm, think I'm ditching the idea of battery powered buffer. Gonna try one of the cheaper $400 generators. Also useful for power washer and other things.
In my experience, electric power washers are almost worthless. Even a high power gas washer isn't as effective as a brush or wiping with a sponge. The only reason to use a gas power washer is ergonomics - you can wash the slime off the bottom of your boat in a standing or kneeling position, much more comfortably than brushing/wiping your boat's bottom from underneath, with slimy water dripping all over you and running down your arm. But for topsides, a pressure washer is far more trouble than it's worth (and can damage the gelcoat if you slip up and get too close).

Back to the main topic, I'd check the power needs of a plug-in buffer and consider an inverter. If a little plug-in one won't be enough, but they make bigger ones (400-600 watt) that can clamp onto a car battery. If you're on the hard, you could run your car motor to juice the battery while running off the inverter.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #318 of 330 Old 03-13-2019

I own a buffer but I rarely use it, arm muscles work fine.
post #319 of 330 Old 03-14-2019
Senior Moment Member

You do your cut polishing by hand?

I usually do my waxing by hand but not the cutting compounds.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #320 of 330 Old 03-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
You do your cut polishing by hand?

I usually do my waxing by hand but not the cutting compounds.
That sounds a bit intense.. I don't have power where my boat is now so I'm trying to find a way to use a buffer without spending $400+ on a generator just for that purpose. But don't think arm muscles is the answer. Maybe I just do full buffing in the fall instead.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in