Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax - Page 33 - SailNet Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #321 of 348 Old 03-14-2019

Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Perhaps I was misleading about using muscle power. I have not let our boat get to the point of needing special attention. The hull is in good shape and a good going over twice a year with a cleaner/wax keeps it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 348 Old 03-14-2019

I should add that Scandium did say that his boat is 24', is not oxidized badly, and he isn't planning to 'go all out'. That, to me, suggests that moving the boat or buying a generator, to power a buffer that he does not have, is a lot of unnecessary expense and effort.
SloopJonB likes this.
post #323 of 348 Old 03-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
I should add that Scandium did say that his boat is 24', is not oxidized badly, and he isn't planning to 'go all out'. That, to me, suggests that moving the boat or buying a generator, to power a buffer that he does not have, is a lot of unnecessary expense and effort.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Though I honestly don't know how to tell how bad oxidation is as this is my first time dealing with it.. And don't have anyone to ask. It is on a trailer so moving it isn't a huge deal. I'll probably get a $50 buffer and drive it somewhere to give the sides a once over. The deck etc I can do by hand. But like you I hope to just do a cleaner-wax by hand after a thorough first time. So want to avoid getting lots of tools I won't need again for a while

post #324 of 348 Old 03-14-2019

You can pick a small area to start and see how that goes.
post #325 of 348 Old 03-14-2019
Senior Moment Member

I wouldn't waste the $50 on a cheap buffer like this one

https://www.amazon.ca/Wen-10PMR-Waxe.../dp/B004TA06QA

All they do is vibrate your hands. Save it towards a good one for when you have power.

Sounds like a thorough hand applied cleaner/wax job - maybe a second coat of good quality carnauba would be the way to go now. Not much more work doing a 24' than a car.

In the described circumstances that's the way I'd go.
chef2sail likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #326 of 348 Old 03-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I usually do my waxing by hand but not the cutting compounds.
Thatís the right way. If someone needs a buffer for wax, they havenít polished correctly...even if itís 885 Fleetwax.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #327 of 348 Old 03-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Not much more work doing a 24' than a car.
This tells me nothing, lol. Never waxed a car (it's a car, who cares? My boat on the other hand..)

Anyway. I worry, from my limited understanding, that just doing a one-step cleaner/wax now could risk "sealing in" the oxidation? There's a blue part on the side that's pretty chalky. But maybe doing a proper compound/oxidation remover next spring could easily get rid of it? Or a wax-remover first? And I guess there's the chance the one-step might actually be enough (though the OP here has no love for those, probably for good reason. At least he didn't 10 years ago..).

But as soon as water is turned on so I can clean it I'll hand-apply compound and wax a small area and see how it goes. It it's too big a PIA do a 1-step to the sides at least, since I can't do those once in the water. But you're right a 24' isn't that big.
Thanks

Last edited by Scandium; 03-15-2019 at 03:34 PM.
post #328 of 348 Old 03-15-2019

I do not intend to veer anyone off the track of the excellent advice in the OP. It's the way to go for perfect results. The last post seemed concerned about doing less, using cleaner/waxes, etc. To that I say, you really can't do much harm. Any cleaning and protection is better than none. Personally, I would shy away from any that actually coat or paint the fiberglass. If anything doesn't come out as good as you like, it needs to be able to be easily removed. Even wax can build up, so any good cleaning should start by removing the old wax. Wax is very easily removed with the right detergent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #329 of 348 Old 03-15-2019

Scandium
Cleaner/wax is a good idea but not for removing oxidation. If you go back to the beginning of this thread the advice given for removing oxidation is rubbing compound and/or wet sanding. There are a multitude of additional steps but you have to decide how much effort, money, and time you are willing to invest. Keep in mind that some of the great advice given here is coming from sailors that own boats that are worth many tens of thousands of dollars...their perspective may not be the same as yours.
post #330 of 348 Old 03-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
...There's a blue part on the side that's pretty chalky...
Thanks
If you have a chalky dark blue boot stripe or similar, you may have to wet sand. I've done this on two separate boats using 2000 grit sandpaper with spray bottle with a little detergent in the water, and it has always restored the deep blue color. After the wet sand, do your polish like you'd do on the white part of the hull, and finally the wax.

For both of my boats I've always done a one-step with Presta Ultra Cutting Cream, which is one of the things that Maine Sail suggested. It starts out a coarse compound, and breaks down as you work it (using electric polisher) to a fine polish. It's worked very well for me.

I went several years with a cheapo Harbor Freight polisher, but got tired of the speed running away every time it heated up, so finally got smart and got a Makita variable speed which is rock solid at the needed slow speed setting.
chef2sail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in