Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax - Page 35 - SailNet Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #341 of 348 Old 06-07-2019

Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

We make water but thereís nothing like the hard,strong spray that comes out of a shore side nozzle.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 348 Old 06-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have three questions
Boat is in the water and in the tropics. Rarely if ever in a slip with a fresh water hose available. What if any steps can I take to maintain the hull and house?
Got stains around the chain plates as had a fresh water leak on passage so use used vasoline as a temporary fix until I could Rebecca them. What gets it out of non skid?
Got scattered hydraulic oil stains on top of the house when a cylinder inside the boom vang failed. Most came up with dawn, then magic eraser then deck wash but still have a little. What to use that wonít injure the tan non skid?
Not sure if you can get this easily outside of New Zealand but probably available on-line. This stuff takes off deck stains, rust marks, the yellowing on topsides, oily marks, tarnishing on SS, you name it. I couldnít live without a tub of this on board. Wipe on, leave for 10 minutes, rinse off. Literally.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/boati...YY3xoCyJ7w_wcB
outbound likes this.
post #343 of 348 Old 06-08-2019

Is it the same as ďon/offĒ ?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #344 of 348 Old 06-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
However, Iíve never known one to last longer than wax.
really? Im surprised. I don't know which product you used, or how you applied it, but in my experience Zaino, applied correctly and once cured, is extremely hard and long lasting. It's far longer lasting than any wax that I've used. To my eye it gives a deeper shine too.

Don't get me wrong I used to be a huge Collinite fan. I used Collinite exclusively on my cars and boat for years. It is no doubt the hardest wax available and gives great, beautiful results. But it is a serious workout to apply and buff out. And while it will last longer than any other wax, I've seen that it cant compete with modern sealants.

About 15 yrs ago I tried Zaino on a recommendation from a friend in my car club and never went back. After a few years of using it on my cars I talked to the owner of Zaino and got some advice and tips for using it on fiberglass. The very first time the surface does need to be stripped of residual wax, etc, before applying. Prep is nothing crazy but these sealants can't layer properly on top of waxes.

Anyway I dont mean to preach or convert anyone. I know these things can be like anchor or motor oil discussions. I have no affiliation with Zaino, I'm just sharing my experience.

oh and for the record, use a mantus anchor, and Amsoil fluids in your engine and transmission or else you are doomed :-)
tempest likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #345 of 348 Old 06-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
really? Im surprised. I don't know which product you used, or how you applied it, but in my experience Zaino, applied correctly and once cured, is extremely hard and long lasting. It's far longer lasting than any wax that I've used. To my eye it gives a deeper shine too.

Don't get me wrong I used to be a huge Collinite fan. I used Collinite exclusively on my cars and boat for years. It is no doubt the hardest wax available and gives great, beautiful results. But it is a serious workout to apply and buff out. And while it will last longer than any other wax, I've seen that it cant compete with modern sealants.

About 15 yrs ago I tried Zaino on a recommendation from a friend in my car club and never went back. After a few years of using it on my cars I talked to the owner of Zaino and got some advice and tips for using it on fiberglass. The very first time the surface does need to be stripped of residual wax, etc, before applying. Prep is nothing crazy but these sealants can't layer properly on top of waxes.

Anyway I dont mean to preach or convert anyone. I know these things can be like anchor or motor oil discussions. I have no affiliation with Zaino, I'm just sharing my experience.

oh and for the record, use a mantus anchor, and Amsoil fluids in your engine and transmission or else you are doomed :-)
Collinite is a brand name with dozens of different formulations. Unless you specify which one you used, thereís no frame of reference for your comments.

In general, if any wax is hard to apply and buff, youíre probably doing something wrong, usually skimping on the polishing step, applying in direct sun, or trying to do too large an area at one time.
bristol299bob likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #346 of 348 Old 06-10-2019

Quote:
Is it the same as ďon/offĒ ?
Sorry, donít get the question. Is on/off a product or a process? If a process, then yes, Grunt Emergel is an on/off product.
post #347 of 348 Old 06-10-2019

No itís a brand name. Basically an acid in gel form.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #348 of 348 Old 06-11-2019

Quote:
No itís a brand name. Basically an acid in gel form.
Yes then itís similar. Grunt is a gel that is strong in oxalic acid. Sounds tough but is not aggressively toxic. Iíve been using it for years and never had any corrosive damage to any hard surface. Not kind to softs like canvas or upholstery.
outbound likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in