Is there an affordable moisture meter? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 10-12-2017

Re: Is there an affordable moisture meter?

Hi all,

I recently finished testing a General Tools MMD7NP against a Protimiter Aquant BLD5765. Both meters have a 3/4" sensing depth, and a digital readout coupled with a moisture bar graph going from "dry" to "wet". The Protimeter although used for many materials, it does prove useful in marine applications, and runs around $300-$400. The boat tested was a C&C 30 with balsa cored decks. Testing was on the port side deck, forward of the chainplates. I used the MMD7NP on "Wall" mode as a previous poster mentioned. Although the numeric readouts are different, the LED bar graphs on both indicated the same degree of moisture. In known dry areas, the Protimeter ranged from 80 to 93, and the General measured 4 to 9. As we worked towards the known wet areas, the Protimeter climbed up to 238, and the General up to 80 in the area with the highest moisture. Both meters were indicating "wet" on their bar graphs at this point. Erratic readings occured on both meters if they were in close proximity to any metal. Take this information as you wish, but my conclusion is that the $48 General can accurately detect moisture in balsa cored decks, and if the top skin of glass does not exceed the sensing depth. If I was a surveyor, I would spend the extra on a higher quality tool such as the Protimeter, but for a DIYer such as myself, the General MMD7NP is a useful piece of kit IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
SailingUphill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 10-12-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Mushet View Post
Hi all,

I recently finished testing a General Tools MMD7NP against a Protimiter Aquant BLD5765. Both meters have a 3/4" sensing depth
Having worked with most brands of meters over the last 25yrs, I can state that manufacturers claims are at best, optimistic. I have yet to see a meter that can reliably/consistently read to much more than a 3/8" depth and often less.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
Brendan Mushet (10-12-2017)
post #23 of 33 Old 10-13-2017

The most affordable moisture I have come across is to sticky tape clear plastic over the area you are concerned about, wait 24 to 48 hours and if the plastic is wet on the inside you have moisture. If it is dry then you a fine.

When I did it I grinded out the problem areas, high pressure cleaned the areas and then left the hull to dry out fo 3-4 months. For the first. 1-2 months I was getting wet plastic, but after 3-4 months it was dry. Every week or two I high pressure cleaned the whole hull to assist the drying process.

Ilenart

post #24 of 33 Old 10-13-2017
Dirt Free

This only works if you put the plastic over a spot you have already ground out or over a fracture. The pressure washing does nothing to aid grying. Pressure washing only helps if you have hydrolytic fluid weeping from fractures or grinding areas and then all it does is wash away any soluble hydrolytic fluid which will prevent paint or repair materials from adhering.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #25 of 33 Old 10-13-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

I threw a ziplock bag over my moisture meter, and used it like that, then did same without it... including wet (outside to touch) and it made little difference in the readings. Only when I put the meter in a puddle did it read differently than while in the ziplock. Imagine this, both read "wet."

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #26 of 33 Old 10-13-2017
Dirt Free

There are those who disagree however I have spent years testing different meters and have found while useful they are by no means infallible. To see some of my tests I suggest again that you look at my Moisture Meter Mythology.

post #27 of 33 Old 10-13-2017

I used the meter I bought half a dozen times when boat shopping and now all the time to check moisture on wood blanks that I cut for bowl turning and to check readiness of split fire wood. Gettin' my money's worth.
j

1985 C&C 35 MK 3 #150
LIS
post #28 of 33 Old 10-14-2017

This one has served me well. No moisture meter is perfect but with proper calibration they can provide some indication of issues. I dont rely on the percentages as much as I do the relative differences between areas that I am scanning.

http://www.electrophysics.on.ca/fiber_mobile.htm#CT33

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #29 of 33 Old 10-14-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
This one has served me well. No moisture meter is perfect but with proper calibration they can provide some indication of issues. I dont rely on the percentages as much as I do the relative differences between areas that I am scanning.
Percentages and calibration are only relevant if you know the density of the material you are metering. None of us know the densities of the various laminate schedules and resins in our boats.

post #30 of 33 Old 10-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This only works if you put the plastic over a spot you have already ground out or over a fracture. The pressure washing does nothing to aid grying. Pressure washing only helps if you have hydrolytic fluid weeping from fractures or grinding areas and then all it does is wash away any soluble hydrolytic fluid which will prevent paint or repair materials from adhering.
Regular pressure cleaning helps to clean off the muck that comes out of the grind off fibreglass. Otherwise the chemicals and crap builds up and slows down the drying process. Note that this is drying out a hull / fixing osmosis, not associated with fixing a fracture from an impact.

Ilenart

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in